We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

Hey everyone,

i've noticed reviews comparing the 2 but have not seen any comparing the 2 after Caribe's renovations?

We are a group of 6-10 adults ages 27-30 and we are having a hard time choosing which of the 2 to go to. We are looking for lots of sun and a nice beach, great food, but also being able to party in the evening.

Which would you recommend if you've visited either after Caribe's renos?

thanks!

Va
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

When are you going because you are not going to get anymore sun at the Cancun post reno during the oct-feb time period. The beach is also better at the caribe. I would assume that the rooms will be the same at both. Most likely they will put windows in the bathrooms at the Cancun which is silly and go with their contemporary design which doesn't blend with the current architecture. I like the Caribe for the openness, but the Cancun for the location.

Va
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

When are you going because you are not going to get anymore sun at the Cancun post reno during the oct-feb time period. The beach is also better at the caribe. I would assume that the rooms will be the same at both. Most likely they will put windows in the bathrooms at the Cancun which is silly and go with their contemporary design which doesn't blend with the current architecture. I like the Caribe for the openness, but the Cancun for the location.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

I am going in late january....what do you mean by not getting any sun?

is caribe that far from everything downtown?

thanks for the reply

Va
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

The problem with the Cancun is the building is very tall and close to the beach. By noon in the winter the pool is in total shade by noon and the beach is in total shade by 1pm. This isn't a problem in the summer when the sun is higher in the sky.

The location is better because you can walk to the main clubs and shopping in the hotel zone. The Caribellocation isn't bad by any means. You would just take a bus to the area if you wanted. The buses run every 5 mins and only cost a dollar.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
168 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

Saying the Riu Cancun loses its sun by noon is a bit of an exaggeration. I would say more like 330 at the infinity pool. Then if you are looking for more sun there is a roof top terrace as well as the beach.

Va
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

Bsanden, are you in Cancun right now? I will be happy to meet you on the beach at 1pm to look for sun. It is no exaggeration. Yes there is a rooftop, but why would you come all the way to Cancun to sit alone on a dirty rooftop with zero amenities?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
168 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

I wish I was. I have been to the cancun enough to know what time the sun sets. I know you are a Caribe fan but give a fair assessment and stop giving your negative spin.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

thanks for the reply everyone!

as much sun as possible is definitely one of the top things that we want on our list....so its sounding like we should go with caribe just in case...i've also read some reviews saying that the buildings in caribe are just as tall....

a 5min bus ride that costs $1 to go downtown isn't really an issue for us...seems easy enough!

how about the renovated properties? which one is nicer?

how do the food and drinks compare at each location?

thanks!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

The food & drinks will be close, as they are both Riu's and will use same vendor's, ect. You do know if you stay at one, you can use the other? I would stay at the Riu Cancun just for pure location. Can't be beat.5 minute walk to the clubs and such......

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: after renos - Riu Caribe vs. Riu Cancun?

the Caribe has been renovated and the Riu Cancun has not been yet. The rooms at the Caribe are very nice. The food will probably be a bit better at the Cancun as far as selection goes. Drinks at either depends on the bartender. Visited both of these Rius a couple weeks ago while staying at the Riu Palace Penninsula. As for sun you will get more at the Caribe but by 3:20 in the afternoon the pool will be in the shade bt there may still be sun on the beach. Most people hit the beach early and are heading to the showers by that time anyway.