We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Hi. Lost my wife's US passport today. Cancun US consulate is closed right now. Website indicates that we need to make an appointment except for emergency cases.

Anyone know if we can just show up tomorrow without an appointment to get a replacement passport? We are staying in Tulum and it's an expensive cab ride and hence wondering if we should make an appointment before going there. We leave this Saturday and appreciate any input on what are our options to be able to fly back. Thanks in advance.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Call them first thing. But try and make an appointment on line and see if it gives you the option to state why. Do you have any other ID with you? That would help as would knowing her passport number. Just in case, any idea where you lost it? Maybe retrace your steps. Supposedly it can be replaced in 24 hrs. Do you realize that you can take a bus to Cancun? A lot cheaper.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,413 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Very similar scenario from another poster (are you related?) - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k702075…

Lots of info there.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Thanks for the info and link guys. I see there is a US consular service in playa del Carmen as per the other link so it's closer to us than cancun.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

When you get this sorted out you'd be doing people a favor by posting the details of what you went through. Costs, paperwork, etc.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

No reason to go all the way to Cancun. Both are Playa del Carmen and Cancun are branch offices of the only US Consulate in the area , which is in Merida. It will help if you have a copy of the passport or the number when you apply. You need to take certain completed forms and photo which are outlined in the forum mentioned by Llisa.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Update...

On our way to the US consulate in playa del Carmen we stopped by the cambio where we had exchanged currency yesterday. We thought they may not have returned our passport back. To our relief that was indeed the case. They forgot to return our passport and we failed to remember they had not returned it, thinking we had lost it somehow while shopping after we left the cambio.

Thanks everyone.

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

So glad to hear of the positive outcome! What a relief!

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

Hallelujah! That calls for a drink!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

That is good news. Had you already notified the consulate? If so be sure you contact them and let them know you recovered it. While accidents like yours happen the US flags such things. Uh... without going into details... there is a market for US passports..even the ones with chips. Losing one can get you on a watch list. In the old days, before biometric passports, backpackers of several nationalities could and did supplement their travel funds by losing passports in certain countries.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent US passport lost in Mexico

So glad it worked out. Good reminder that keeping copies with you on every trip is a good idea to expedite replacement in case it really does get lost. I scan our passports into my computer and e-mail myself copies before I travel, you could also take a photo. I also leave copies with someone at home in the US as well as keep a set of color copies tucked away in my luggage.