We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

...I do have a beautiful diamond wedding ring set and, although the other jewelry I'm bringing to Cancun is costume, I do not take my engagement ring and wedding bands off. Although we probably won't be downtown, we will be on the strip and at Isla Mujeres for a day. Am I attracting trouble?

I didn't think of this until my friend mentioned it. Does she have a point? Or am I good to go with my beauties planted firmly on my left ring finger?

Do you all wear your normal jewelry in Cancun?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

Um, did anything ever happen to Liz Taylor when she hung out in Puerto Vallarta?

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

LOL!

Different time, different place. And, sadly, I don't have her private villa, entourage, or bodyguards!

I'll take that as one vote for no worries.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

My advice is if you don't want to lose it don't take it or insure the ring. I always wear my rings, yet they are not very flashy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

I'm sure it's not just the dollar value but also sentimental. Things are fairly safe but it only takes one exception to bring on a lifetime of regret. Leave it at home.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

My wife refuses to take off her wedding ring. But that's the only jewelry she wears. While traveling she usually turns it around so that the diamond is toward her palm and all you see is a gold band from the outside. It's best not to attract too much attention to yourself even with costume jewelry.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

Everywhere I go in Mexico, I see the locals fiddling with their smartphones, without an apparent care in the world. Seems to be the current thing-to-grab in the states (says the media), but I'm not seeing anything like that on the ground in Mexico. And everybody (except a few tourists) wears their backpacks on their backs, and I see wallet bulges in back pockets where they'd be easy pickings.

So if locals aren't too worried...

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

I and all of my friends never wear any of our jewelry or rings in Mexico.

If you are adamant about wearing your ring, I would turn it around like the above poster said. Make sure it is insured on your homeowners policy as well. JMO

Edited: 04 December 2013, 05:34
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

And make sure your homeowners policy covers you out of the country and what is needed to file a claim.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,481 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

I have no idea why you wouldn't wear anything here that you would wear at home. Many Mexicans wear much gold constantly without a problem.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,908 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm no Elizabeth Taylor but...

I don't wear my wedding rings anymore but for a totally different reason. I almost lost my good diamond wedding band down the pool drain when I slathered on sunscreen and it slipped off my finger. I bought a diamonique set for virtually nothing that looks good and that's what I wear whenever I'm going somewhere that I'm going to be going in the water and put on sunscreen a lot. That's the same in Florida, Hawaii, and Mexico. I don't want to have to scramble around on the floor of the pool again trying to find my ring. Not worth it.

Cheryl