We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Happy

brooklyn, new york
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Not Happy

My husband and I both in our 50's are booked at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun. I have read a lot of positives however we don't think we want to stay in a resort in Mexico that feels like you are in the Mediterranean. Does anyone have any suggestions? We paid $3,200 for Secrets Capri for a 10 day stay starting August 29th, (there is still time to switch resorts). Nice beach and at least one Mexican resturant on the resort would be great.

We hope to hear your expert advice soon,

Thanks,

Angie

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Happy

Dreams -Cancun, nice beach, nice lagoon and the Paloma Bonita Restaurant next door.

And, it's an Apple Resort.

central Calif
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Happy

You should post this on the Playa Del Carmen forum.

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Happy

Hi Flinteastrock!!

Just curious as to what facts lead you to believe that vacationing at Secrets Capri is like vacationing in the Mediterranean?? I have been to Secrets Capri, and it does have the mexican flavour you expect in the Mayan Riviera. We visit the MR instead of Cancun for the atmosphere. Just curious....

Cheers.....................................................................LD

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Happy

In my opinion, if you really want the real feel of the country you are visiting, you would avoid an AI. They are always a rather sanitized version of the country you are visitng with food ,etc. geared to the tourists taste.

brooklyn, new york
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Happy

Thanks all for responding,

We are going to stick with Secrets Capri after all. We did get a good deal, and we understand that, there will be theme nights and some Mexican food at the buffet.

Lornadee, the Med feel came from what I read about the resturants, 1 Med 1 continental and also the way the resort is decortated in the pics makes it look that way.

We are looking forward to August 29 when we arrive at Secrets Capri and will bring our water shoes, since the beach sounds like it may have a few rocks, and has a sticky bottom when you go out a bit. Lorandee did you have that experience?

Thanks again for your expert advice,

Angie

nj
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Happy

don't know where you are flying from, but 3200 for 2/10 days...i w ouldn't be too hasty in giving that up either.....good decision.

you got a great deal

have fun, i'm sure you will

diane

Minooka, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Happy

Nicely put Robert... Too bad the bf is so geared towards AI's.. No adventure, i tell you.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Happy

Robert SDF's post is absolutely spot on. There are TONS of wonderful (from simple to incredibly luxurious) non all inclusive resorts where you'll get a better feel of the place you're visiting, because you'll leave your hotel for local restaurants, etc. This is such a great area that you may be limiting yourself by just staying at a secluded all inclusive resort.

MI
Level Contributor
393 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Happy

I have gone back and forth on this when picking resorts..

because yes most of the AI's don't have that "Mexican Feel"

to me... but I love the luxury and food/drink you can get at an AI..

So far the best mix of luxury and authenticity to Mexico I have found in Mexico are the Fiesta Americana resorts... truly have a Mexico feel and are still very luxurious as well. (although the new Aqua does not appear to have this same feel) they don't have a resort in Playa though....

another one to consider if you want more authenticity over luxury might be Bahia Principe..have not stayed there, but it seems pretty low key with outdoor palapa restaurants..(I missed having an outdoor palapa restaurant at Capri..) I dont' think you will be disappointed with Capri, but if you are truly looking for a "Mexican" feel I don't think its got that.. and I can see where you are coming from with the Mediterranean thing..

brooklyn, new york
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Not Happy

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the warm wishes. We are flying out of JFK on Aug 29th, we got a good rate for air too. $299 pp round trip.

Hubby and I always have a good time no matter where we go, we just wanted to know, what else is out there and other people's opinions. You guys were great in responding. Please if you have any secrets on "Secrets Capri" please let us know..lol.

Angie