We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Connecticut
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

For a family of five with three kids between 11 and 14 is it relatively easy or feasible to fly into Cancun and then depart from Cozumel? Coming from Boston and just wanted to know if getting to Cozumel airport from Cancun, with bags, is going to be sanely possible, either by ferry or bus or taxi and cost? Thanks for any feedback

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Easy peasy. With your group, get a private transfer from USA-transfers.com, canadatransfers.com or similar to the ferry pier in Playa del Carmen.

Ferry to Cozumel. You are there.

Some useful pictures here.

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Get a taxi to the airport in Cozumel when ready to leave.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 15:08
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Ferry is 156 pesos per adult one way. May be less for one or more of the kids.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

We do this a LOT. For some weird reason, it's often considerably cheaper to fly in to Cancun and out of Cozumel from Boston than a round-trip to Cozumel. As Ron says, it's quite easy to get from Cancun to the island, and not very expensive. I'd even go so far as to say it's fun, particularly the ferry ride. For a group of 5, I'd get a private transfer van rather than use the bus.

Getting from the island back to Cancun in time for a flight is more of a pain, which is one reason we prefer not to do it.

If I read your posting correctly, though, it sounds as if you might be planning to stay in Cancun and would only be going to Cozumel for the flight home. If that were the case, I'd have to save a LOT of money to make it worthwhile. Getting to the Cozumel airport from a Cancun resort is going to add at least 3 hours to that leg of the trip unless you're very familiar with what you're doing and with the ferry schedules.

Round-trips between Boston and Cancun are almost always cheaper than the split trip you describe, which in turn is often cheaper than a Cozumel round-trip. This makes the split trip a good deal for people with Cozumel as their destination but not, in my view, for those planning to stay in Cancun. (Whether one should even stay in Cancun is a separate question...)

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Mark raises a point that I may not have considered...that you may stay on the mainland EXCEPT to depart from the Cozumel airport on your departure day. If that is what you are doing, then make sure that your departure time is not early in the morning.

Currently the earliest ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel is 700 AM. That would get you to the Cozumel airport around 815 AM.

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

In my opinion, it the ticket cost is anywhere clsoe to fly into and out of Cozumel I would do that rather than do the bag drag from the Cancun airport to the ferry, shlep your bags onto the ferry, then drag them off the ferry and find a taxi to your hotel.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Using frequent flyer miles and, at this point, can only get a flight into Cancun and a return out of Cozumel which is why I asked. Just trying to see if the trip is worth it, i.e. is it too much of a hastle to have a different return airport. We would be staying in Cancun for two weeks and that is also another issue. Thanks for your replies.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Before I retired from the airline, I did the arrival at Cancun and on by bus and ferry to Cozumel about once a month. My reason for doing it was that as an employee, I was flying on space available and I had many more chances of grabbing a seat to Cancun. It became routine and I really didn´t mind the trip at all. Actually , I looked forward to it. Agree , it could be more of a hassle in the other direction but I had the option of several afternoon flights so no problem.

Some seem to see it as a major hassle but really I never did.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

Another option is getting to Cozumel a day or two before your departure from Cozumel.

9. Re: Flying into Cancun/departing from Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:16