We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in CUN for a week

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car in CUN for a week

I'll be staying in Puerto Morelos for a week, thus I need to rent a car. I've been doing my research, and discovered the pile of spaghetti surrounding insurance. I see some great rates, < $10 a day, but obviously that doesn't include the insurance. Every time I've rented a car, I buy some extra insurance from my car insurance company at home, and its been no problem in any country.

I've read that Mexico does not honor insurance policies from outside Mexico. I've also read that they will do a pre-auth on your credit card for up to $3000. I rented a car for two days while staying at the Gran Bahia Pincipe last year and I don't remember any of this. I think I paid ~ 20 a day, and that was it, I don't remember any of the other BS.

What has your experience been? Anyone from British Columbia had any issue using their ICBC Roadstar coverage in Mexico? Any suggestions on car rental companies that are easier to deal with? I'm on a bit of a budget for this, so definitely looking to safe as much as possible without undue risk.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

Why do you think that you need to rent a car?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

Not necessary to have the car but a nice convenience if you want to do some independent exploring. Really can't beat the flexibility. However, if you are going to skimp on the insurance coverage, I would skip the car rental . It can be a major hassle if you are involved in an accident and try to rely on anything but the insurance purchased in Mexico. If you paid 20 a day, you weren't insured and fortunate to not have a problem.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

We are staying in a condo 3km outside of PM, so need to be able to go to the grocery store. Gives us the convienince of going to Cancun or down to playa del Carmen. We also would like to take in Tulum and Chitzen Itza. The taxi to and from the airport is the same as te car rental for the week.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

I'm not trying to skimp / avoid insurance, I just want to mAke sure that my $10 / day insurance bought at home (vs $30+ / day from the car company) is valid in Mexico, and without a $3000 pre-auth on my card.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

you cannot get liability insurance outside of Mexico. You can get collision and comprehensive insurance outside of the country but not liability. Unfortunately the liability alone adds anywhere from $12 to $15 per day depending on insurance company. Hertz provides the minimum liability in their base rates

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

Your insurance outside of Mexico is worthless. You need to buy the full Monty from the rental agency. Tough pill, and if not willing, don't rent. As mentioned, at the price you paid in the past, you def didn't have insurance, and damn lucky you didn't have any damage/theft/incidents.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

Alright, so as I don't see the costs of insurance on the rental companies site, what could I expect to pay per day for the basic insurance to keep me covered. I've been looking at Dollar and Thrifty as the two best deals so far based on their base rate.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,548 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

quote: I've been looking at Dollar and Thrifty as the two best deals so far based on their base rate.

bad choices

Try Easyway or Caribbean

Here is a great thread on car rental hints

tripadvisor.ca/…48832482

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

Thank you for that link, very interesting read. However, I'm still confused. In this thead, and the linked thread people have said that out of country insurance is not valid. However, others have said that showing a letter from their insurance company proving that the car is covered is fine, and avoids paying their insurance.

I'm also confused about the different types of insurance, Third party, cdw, liability etc. Seems there are two things to insure: The car itself (CDW) and Third Party - anything you might hit with the car. I got a quote from Sixt (I used them with great success in Europe) and they include Third Party with an option for liability, but no CDW option. They have a pay now option, if I do that, will I be faced with additional charges at the counter?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car in CUN for a week

Simple answer, ask the rental agent: what is the cost for full, absolute insurance coverage for your vehicle, and anyone/anything else? If you can handle the price, your reply is: thanks, I'll take that.