We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

I cannot decide between these two hotels. Those of you who have stayed at either one or both, which would you recommend?

It is for 2 to 3 couples all early 30s. We all pretty much like the same things; comfort and fine dining at an affordable price. These two places seem to have excellent reviews though and it is making it difficult to decide.

From the two, which would you guys go for?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

I have only stayed at one of them, Sandos Cancun.

Pool area is very nice and the new spa and gym are top notch. Rooms are comfortable. Beach is very nice and location is great for easily getting out and about.

Food was good as well but not what I would call "fine dining". Very few AI's truly have that IMO.

I enjoyed Sandos. It is quiet but lots to do nearby if you want more. The bar off the main lobby is a nice place for drinks.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

These are two totally different properties. Sandos is a luxury all-inclusive in the Cancun hotel zone and Petit Lafitte is a basic hotel with breakfast and dinner included (half-board) far away from most things. It all comes done to what type of vacation you are looking for. If you want to dress up for dinner, have an on-site spa, and be within a couple minutes of restaurants,shopping and clubs then go with Sandos. On the other hand if you dont need an all-inclusive, and want a laid back trip that you can spend almost the whole time barefoot and in swimwear then go with a bungalow at Petit Lafitte.

Im in the same age bracket as you and we previously did a group trip to Live Aqua in cancun. I actually like the looks of Petit Lafitte but it wouldn't of been a good fit for us, I could definitely imagine us getting bored there...

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

Thank you guys for replaying and giving me your input. We like to be in the hustle and bustle but at the same time we are looking at relaxing. The only thing that is keeping me from jumping into making a reservation at Petit is the fact that Chichenitza is quite far...

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

Depending on how long your trip is, why not split it up between both?

Edited: 22 December 2013, 18:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

Just 5 days. Not long enough to split it.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

I haven't stayed at Sandos, but we enjoyed our vacation to Petit Lafitte. I thought the food was pretty good and the staff was very friendly. The pool is pretty small, but the beach was lovely and we loved relaxing at the hammocks on the beach. It was very quiet, no evening entertainment, etc. When we were there, the general crowd was older. Groups who have been coming down every year for years and have become friends at the resort. Didn't bother us. We were there with our 9-month-old son. Taking a taxi into PDC wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

Thanks for your input world_traveler :)

8. Re: Sandos Cancun OR Petit Lafitte Playa del Carmen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:21