We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

Minnesota
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

Just looking for a way to get to Isla from our resort (Royal Solaris). We want to try & do it ourselves instead of taking a tour. Is there a local bus that would take us to Puerto Juarez or do we need to take a taxi?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

Not sure about the buses, I think some of them go there and others do not, I'd ask at your hotel.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

If this is your 1st time to the area I would suggest taking any bus from your hotel. When you get on just say Playa Tortugas por favor. You can catch the ferry right in the hotel zone. It is about 8 miles from your hotel.

do Ultramar is the name of the ferry service.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

No need for a tour - very easy to get to Isla Mujeres! Go early, stay late. If you have time, order a map from the mapchick - www.cancunmap.com. Tells you how to get there and all there is to see and do - more like a detailed guidebook. Have fun! :)

Kent
Level Contributor
6,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

whatever you do make sure it's the blue and yellow ultramar ferry you get, we stupidly let the man take us to the pay desk and ended up on a boat which was lucky to get us there alive!! it took an hour and rocked and rolled across the sea, we booked the ultramar back, we learnt out lesson the hard way lol

Minnesota
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

We do have a map from mapchick as we went to Isla in 2010. I pulled it out of the closet... a bit tattered & torn but usable. And it helps to have my written notes on there. :)

I will have to look thru it again to find out how she suggests to get to the island.

Thanks everyone!

Edited: 20 January 2014, 20:54
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

We have a new 2013/14 map,

You can bus to Playa Tortugas or El Embarcadero to get the ferry to Isla, but I suggest getting one way tickets in case you want to stay on the island longer. The last ferry back to Cancun hotel zone is at 5:30pm, so if you want to stay longer you can get on the ferry that goes back to Puerto Juarez instead, those ferries run every 30 minutes until 11:30pm. from there, taxi to downtown Cancun and then get on a bus back to the hotel zone. You could also negotiate a price with the taxi driver back to your hotel if you'd rather not do the bus.

There is a bus from the hotel zone to Puerto Juarez, it's R1 and it will say Isla Mujeres ferry. Not all R1 go to Puerto Juarez so make sure it says it on the window and ask the driver when you get on to be sure. If it doesn't go all the way, you can always get off the bus downtown and taxi the rest of the way to the ferry.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
290 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

You seem to know details of the area. Is there a bus that goes from the Ado bus station or nearby out to the Ferry to Isla Mujeres at Puerto Juarez? if so, where do you catch it, cost and name would be appreciated. Trying to figure out the combination of less expense vs easiest way to make that connection. thanks

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

You need to take a taxi from the ADO bus station, cost should be $5-6 to Puerto Juarez.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
290 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

thank you.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

Excellent advice in this thread for me as well. Thanks.

But this map thing, is it on sale in Cancun somewhere as well or only online? Will arrive tomorrow so no time to order from interwebs:)