We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are thinking of a trip to Cancun for sometime late January and this will be our first time back to Cancun in about 15 years. We're going for a short stay; probably just 3 or 4 nights. I'm really floored at how expensive the all-inclusive rates are and wondering if it's really worth it or if we should consider paying for everything separate. We will not do a lot of activities, really just there to get out of the brutal WI winter for a few days. We would be content with 2 meals a day and don't need gourmet meals. Is all inclusive still the way to go? Thanks!!

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

Keep in mind January is during the high tourist season. We are going end of January AI for six nights at RIU property for around 1K each with airfare, transfers & AI. I believe AI is the way to go because I do not worry about the cost of a meal, drink, cab fare to get to restuarant. It all depends on where you stay and the restarants at the resort you choose.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

AI is a good choice if you've only a couple of days and just want to relax. The resort will meet all your needs.

If you want to see some country you could do a half-day or day trip. You have 2 days of travel by the time all is said and done so just spend the others relaxing in the warmth.

Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

Thanks for the quick replies! I think you're right. I also don't want to be carrying a purse around wherever I go. Makes sense to me! Thanks again

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,771 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

I'm on the other side. For quick getaways, I've booked 3-4 nights at the Casa Magna Marriott, on a breakfast rate. The breakfast is more like brunch and that means for dinner I can either eat at one of the resort restaurants or explore the hotel zone for other options. I'm not carrying my wallet around everywhere; just a credit card and my resort room key, maybe a little cash. That's not to say I haven't done AI, since I have. For AI's, I like that I can drink and eat whenever I want, and not have to worry about the bill. Personal preferences.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

Since I don't like large hotels, whether all inclusive or not, I'd land in Cancun and head straight to either Isla Mujeres or Puerto Morelos. Lots of cheaper hotels in either location. Food and drink are very reasonable in both places.

We just spent a night at a nice little hotel in PM for US$75.00 a night, and, that included a continental breakfast.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

For a short vacation with no other plans than to relax and enjoy the sun, I really like all-inclusive. It's nice to just hang out at the resort, eat and drink when I feel like it without having to think about where to go and when. Whatever you decide, a few days of warm weather definitely makes the winter (somewhat more) manageable.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

If your not a big eater or drinker, EP all the way

8. Re: Going with All Inclusive or "Pay as you go"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:16