We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
939 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

We are staying at The Westin Resort and Spa which is not an all inclusive nor is it near restaurants. We want to purchase beer, wine,snacks, breakfast items ,fresh fruit and maybe some sandwich type items. I was all set to make a bus trip to Super Express by The Presidente after dinner our first evening to purchase these items( thanks to those who gave me such detailed advice). I just noticed that the airport transfer company offers a stop at Walmart for $30. What would you do? This is our first trip to Cancun, not sure which plan is most efficient ( not necessarily cheaper) Thanks again for any help. We are in final countdown mode!

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
The Westin Resort & Spa...
3,443 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

When will you travel? Next month there will be Supermarket in the Hotel Zone, is Soriana Supermarket in Plaza Kukulkan, easy some 15 min trip by bus, buses go each 3 - 5 min and cost less than $1USD per person per trip

massachusetts
Level Contributor
939 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

We are arriving Thursday January 9.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

The travel day is long, and can be tiring. You'll also have luggage in tow. Why not chill, check in, relax, then get up the next morning and head downtown to go to some decent stores and have a leisurely, fun grocery shopping experience. We prefer Mercado 23 for fresh produce, fresh squeezed OJ. In a bag, a nice lunch, then a short walk over to Comercial Mexicana for the remainder of our groceries. Cab back to your hotel. Don't try to cram too much into any vacation day.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

Good advice from bella. And always good to shop some local places rather than Walmart.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

personally I prefer to do it on the way in from airport and get it over with. I do not like doing it the next day except if you are getting in very late. The first day is usually a waste because of traveling etc, so getting the grocery store trip out of the way that first day in my opinion is the best way vs wasting part of the next day. This way the next day your vacation can fully begin and you can wake up, have a nice breakfast, relax and chill

Grocery shopping is never fun, at least to me. And I agree avoid Wal-Mart. I would prefer superamma which is groceries only and owned by Wal-Mart but much cleaner and more organized and less crowded, so easy in and out and it is also closer to the airport and Westin as there is one on highway 307 about 5 miles from airport and if requested the airport transport company will stop there.

DreamDays

the Sorianoin HZ is open next month? if that is true that is your best option

Edited: 28 December 2013, 02:03
Cancun
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

I went few days ago to Plaza Kukulkan, asked security about the Supermarket, they told is to open in January, it will be on the second floor

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

Funny, we've never considered grocery shopping as "wasting part of the day", nor do we look at it as "never fun". I guess it's just a matter of, is your glass half full or half broken :)

Actually, we very much enjoy the experience because it allows us to take in all the wonderful different foods this area has to offer. We take our time picking out the delicacies, the great pastries, a wonderful authentic lunch in Mercado 23 and connecting with our surroundings. A true waste, imho, would be to rush through the market to quickly grab & dash because your $30 ride is waiting for you. No, that doesn't sound like fun at all. But, to each their own. We enjoy the experience, and look forward to it. We've found some fantastic meals by our leisurely shopping, and talking with locals while doing so. Just one example - boquinete fish. Try it ;)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

A picture is worth a hundred words...

Google Earth Streetview of what Comercial Mexicana looks like: …photobucket.com/albums/d189/bellasogno/come…

My half-eaten (sorry, it smelled so good I couldn't wait) 30 peso lunch at Mercado 23: …photobucket.com/albums/d189/bellasogno/Merc…

Our favorite Mercado 23 store: …photobucket.com/albums/d189/bellasogno/Pott…

Some feed places at Mercado 23: …photobucket.com/albums/d189/bellasogno/Merc…

…photobucket.com/albums/d189/bellasogno/Merc…

How about some fresh catch? Mercado 23: …photobucket.com/albums/d189/bellasogno/Merc…

Edited: 28 December 2013, 14:12
massachusetts
Level Contributor
939 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

Haven't decided yet but what should the taxi fare be from Walmart to The Westin considering it is very far down the hotel zone?

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
The Westin Lagunamar...
5,862 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walmart with airport transfer or convenience store on own?

Westin to walmart roundtrip cab fare with driver waiting while you shop around 300 pesos

bellasogno

I guess to each their own, I only see the inside of a grocery store in USA maybe 3-4 times per year and in Cancun 1 hour per week is more than enough for me as we rarely ever dine in. Now my wife she enjoys shopping and goes at it alone, it is not for me

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico