We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dolphin trips

wakefield uk
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
dolphin trips

want to go see wild dolphins while in Cancun

whats the best way to do this arrange with travel reps or independent tour though hotel or outside provider

will be there in march

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dolphin trips

I'm so happy you said wild dophins, so I'm assuming you mean you want to go out on a boat to see them in their own territory, not a dolphin "prison". I'm sorry I cannot direct you to any particular company, I suggest you do a search on line for more information. And then try contacting them via email. Whenever you book through a resort, you are going to pay more because they have to get their cut.

Shaftesbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dolphin trips

So did you find any boat trips where you could see dolphins in the wild? I'm having trouble finding anything that doesn't involve captured dolphins and I don't want to support that industry.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dolphin trips

rebduffy - it's my understanding that even the wild dolphin encounters aren't without controversy, so you might want to check into that a little more too. But in the meantime, here's a link for you - pescamaya.com/sian-Kaan-ecotour-wild-dolphin…

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dolphin trips

"Swimming with the dolphins" is on a par with "walking with the lions" in Zimbabwe, Africa, and probably any other type of wildlife encounter all over the world. People genuinely don't realise the cruelty involved.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dolphin trips

I went as" trainer for the day" to Dolphinaris near PDC. This was working in the water with the dolphins as well as seeing behind the scenes. For instance, how they ensure they get the right diet and seeing what care they receive.

Basically the dolphin has a medical check first thing every day and then gets fed and played with throughout the day. If the dolphin does not want to play then he does not have to. Compared to living in a polluted ocean searching for a dwindling food supply and being chased by predators and getting tangled in a fishing net I know which lifestyle I would choose.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dolphin trips

Thing is they don't get a choice.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dolphin trips

I don't normally chime in on dolphin threads as I feel its your business what you choose to do on your vacation, but to say captive dolphins are better off than free ones is like saying you would rather spend your life in a penitentiary where you have medical care and are fed.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dolphin trips

I had my say and that was going to be the end of it until I read post #5. Don't you think they are only going to show the the very "best" behind the scenes?

And, if all the dolphins decide not to play, do they shut the place down for the day?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dolphin trips

"Compared to living in a polluted ocean searching for a dwindling food supply and being chased by predators and getting tangled in a fishing net I know which lifestyle I would choose."

Firthermore, being chased and slaughter by humans or get caught, separated from your mother while you both cry and then end up in a pool... Oh, wait.

You do realize all you just listed is humans fault, don't you. We polluted the oceans, we kill species and we also imprison wild life. And then we pretend we care about them by "playing with them"?

I agree it's like saying you would rather spend your life locked in your room (with a bathroom and internet) but not being able to travel, wich I supose is something you like doing.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dolphin trips

I went with an open mind and can only say what I saw. As for" prison" I work with people in prison and strange as it may be some people feel safer in prison than out on the streets.

I respect your opinions but I doubt that some of those that post here would ever change their views.