We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI help please

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
AI help please

Am looking to go to Cancun in June after school gets out, As of now, I am going with a friend. We want an adult only resort with a good beach. That is important. We are not looking to get dressed up for dinners. We want restaurants with a more relaxed atmosphere. While price is important, I am willing to look at all options. I am thinking about doing some excursions, but am not really sure at this time.

Having said all that, can you recommend any AI's that may fit our needs?

Thanks in advance!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI help please

Not wanting to dress for dinner is going to limit your options with respect to adult only resorts as that's sort of de reguer at those kind of places. One of the more laid back adult only resorts that, I'm fairly sure, does NOT require dressing for dinner, is the Catalonia Royal Tulum but it's a fair ways down the coast from Cancun and I'm not sure what it offers in the way of nightlife.

If you want party central, Cancun is a great choice but if you want something a lot more laid back where you definitely won't have to worry about dressing for dinner, consider Isla Mujeres ..... but don't go AI (unless you can get it REALLY cheaply) because there are so many great (and reasonably priced) restaurants. I'd suggest you look for accommodations at the north end so you'll be within easy walking distance of both the beach and the restaurants, bars, etc. of town. If it fits your budget, Hotel Secreto is a gorgeous, boutique hotel and whilst I'm not sure it's adult only, it's sure not a kid friendly environment. Another very popular option is Privilege Aluxes - they offer optional AI which might be worth buying, especially if you like to imbibe.

Another option would be to stay at a boutique hotel in Playa del Carmen. Again, by avoiding AI, you'll avoid the "dress for dinner" obligation and still have easy access to bars, clubs and restaurants.

Hope this helps and happy travels.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 04:21
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI help please

Llisa has excellent advice. One thing to think about as far as dressing for dinner... Women can get away with much more than men. A sundress and flip flops or sandals will do for women at most adults only all inclusive resorts. If even that is too much for you I suggest a non all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen, Tulum or Isla Mujeres.

Tulsa
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI help please

I'd look up the Golden Parnassus, it's pretty laid back and adults only.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI help please

Thank you for your replies. It looks like I will have to change my mind on getting more dressed up for dinners. Texas brought up a good point-ladies can get away with much more than men so I will definitely rethink this. Having said that, can you now recommend an AI resort in Cancun that is adult only? My friend definitely wants to be in Cancun and it has to be adult only.

Thanks again for your help!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI help please

As suggested above, The Golden Parnassus may suit your needs. They do not have a strict dress code, but they do have one restaurant that requires long pants and closed toe shoes for men (you didn't say male or female friend). No restaurant reservations,it is in Cancun, nice stretch of beach, outdoor bar overlooking the beach, and all ages, couples, singles, etc. go there. You can read my review for a start. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI help please

Sun Palace.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI help please

Riu just redid an adult only section but they may be pricey

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI help please

The Catalonia Royal Tulum in Playa del Carmen is adults only and has a casual dress code with plenty of options for ala carte dining or buffet; nice pool areas, air conditioned gym and spa and one of the best beaches in the area.

http://www.cataloniaroyaltulum.com

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI help please

Sun Palace...book through a VIP member...PM me if you want a referral

Chicago
Level Contributor
654 posts
22 reviews