We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

Hi Everyone - I am flying into Cancun in January for about a week and staying in Puerto Aventuras. I was interested in doing some day traveling in the area to Playa, Akmul, possibly Coba, etc. It seems to make more sense to rent a car than to take public transportation and tours everywhere but It's been a while since I have rented in Mexico so I have a question or two.

Is travel insurance legally required in Mexico and / or is my Amex card sufficient? I'm assuming that going on Orbitz and picking a reputable company like Avis / Thrifty / Hertz / Budget would be sufficient but I am not sure if the rates are inclusive of insurance or additional fees. I guess I'm really wondering if renting a car makes sense and if I am glaringly missing something or not.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

We always rent a car when we go, being able to go where and when we want is the only way to go. We don't ever have room reservation and just stay wherever we end up. This allows us to explore and not have to return to "our resort". You must by law buy insurance there are many options on what you want to cover based on your comfort level. We always get all the coverages even though we have never had to use it during our 12 trips. We have used several different rental companies but Easyway is our go to exclusively now. They are great. Akumal and Coba are both must see stops, try to checkout at least one cenote there are hundreds in the Yucatan.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 16:47
Southern California
Level Contributor
13,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

Yep another vote for Easyway and take all the insurance.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

Going there in a couple of weeks. What company do you use? what rate range should we expect? Will our credit card cover? thanks so much for advice!

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

You def should have the SLI coverage. I have declined the CDW several times in the past when I was a gambling man, but really don't think it's worth the risk or hassle. Understand that your cc will not make a settlement until you have returned home and filed the paperwork. You have to pony up in Mexico. So make sure you have a limit on your card for the value of the rented vehicle at a minimum. If you purchase the CDW make sure you understand if it has any deductible. Check Top Questions for some great info on car rentals.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

Mexico does not recognize out of country insurance. That is between you and your provider. You would not want to be waiving your Capitol One card at the police station after a major accident without Mexican liability coverage, remember the laws of the USA do not apply here. Get the insurance please.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

I agree on the insurance. Now the big question- who would you rent from? The least hassle with no surprises the day I turn this in? I've read good and bad on almost all. Tulum Car Rental? Thanks everyone!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

Cassidyrocks,

Great quesiton. Here is link to good information about renting a car in Mexico (anywhere) and Insurance coverage:

mexperience.com/guide/…5

I will agree with what the others have already said and suggest you take ALL of the ADDITIONAL COVERAGE you can afford. Auto accidents in Mexico (unlike the USA and Canada) are CRIMINAL matters; not Civil matters.

If you do not have the proper documents supporting that you have the necessary and madatory MEXICAN Liability insurance, you very well might spend a few days on the inside of a Mexican jail while the whole matter is sorted out. And I can assure you that even the most sparse budget hotel in Mexico is much more comfortable than a few nights (to save a few dollars and skimp on insurance) in a Mexican jail.

And since you probably have either your cell phone or a nice digital camera with you, make sure to take pictures of each and every litte nick, smudge, or scrape on the rental vehicle. Also make sure to check for a good spare tire AND jack, getting pictures of those too. Look, you can always delete your pictures on the flight back home, but this way the rental car company will know that you have thoroughly inspected the vehicle and get them to sign or inital the condition of the vehicle BEFORE leaving the lot.

Just my two cents, from a border State Insurance Agent and licensed claims adjuster (who has handled cross-border claims).

¡Se diviertán!

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

has anyone had a good experience with any of the car rental places in Cancun? Please send me some names of the ones that were decent to work with. Thanks!!

9. Re: Car rental and insurance from Cancun Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17