We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

We are a family of four staying at the Royal Caribbean in February.

What is the best way to get to Xel Ha; "best" meaning maximizing time in the park and minimizing dollars spent.

Thank you

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

I went to Xel Ha last February.

We booked the trip through the resort. Came to I think about 100 per person, and they bus you there on a nice comfortable shuttle bus. Takes about 1.5 hours each way. You're looking at about 6-8 hours there. I believe pick up was around 5 or 6pm. I would suggest not doing the Xel-Ha and Chichen Itza combo on the same day. One day was not enough to truly explore Xel Ha from what I experienced.

You can book Xel Ha tickets in advance and they pick you up in the hotel zone. You'd probably save maybe 10-20 bucks, but you have to select your specific date if I remember correctly. Xel Ha is fun only when the weather is nice, so personally I'd suggest just booking through your hotel.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

I have the exact opposite opinion.

Only do Xel Ha, do not combine it with anything else that day. Get there when the park opens. Either buy tickets online ahead of your trip or purchase them at the Xel Ha gate when you arrive Be advised, that if you do purchase them online ou will save a little money but you do have to choose a specific date and are stuck to that date. So, I would just purchase them at the gate.

I would find a transfer company that offers transfers not just to and from the airport. Cancun Valet is one but Im sure there are others. Or take a cab. Its not the most cost effective but the fastest and easiest in my opinion. When you are ready to leave there will be plenty of cabs waiting outside Xel Ha to take you home. I would discuss the cost before you get in the cab to make sure its something you can live with.

Also, companies like USA Transfers and I think Cancun Transfers offer what they call private Xel Ha tours where the cost of the tour price includes your ticket to Xel Ha and transportation to and from.

Whatever you decide, don't book a BIG tour from your hotel. Unless the tour states that its a private tour you will most likely be on a large bus picking up people from other resorts and will not get enough time at Xel Ha.

Our first trip to Mexico we booked the Tulum/Xel Ha tour and we were gone all day on a big bus, picked up 50 people from 10 different resorts on the way down there, went to Tulum first and then Xel Ha. When we finally go to Xel Ha that afternoon there were already a million people and we were only there a couple of hours then had to load back up on the bus.

It was so much better the 2nd time when we took a cab from our resort and got to spend as much time there as we wanted.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

Thank you both for the information.

I would like to spend the entire day at Xel Ha, as you both suggested. Getting there at opening would be ideal.

If I cannot find a direct shuttle or bus I think it will be worth it to take a cab. I wonder how much that would cost?

Stopping at 10 other resorts would be really frustrating!

Edited: 09 January 2014, 18:52
Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

Cancun Valet has transportation options. On the website it said that for transportation from Cancun to Xel Ha is round trip $205. It will just be you and your family in an air-conditioned van. Its about an hour and 15 minute trip one way.

I guess you could email the Royal Caribbean and see if they have any other suggestions. You could inquire where you are staying about the cost of a cab to Xel Ha.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

Thank you very much. I will follow up.

$200 is quite a bit of money, I will keep the taxi in mind while looking at other options.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

One option would be when you arrive at your hotel, go ahead and ask the front desk how much the taxi rate to and from Xel Ha is. If that price is well under $200 I would schedule the transfer for the day you would like to go. If its about the same amount of $ I would get online and book an actual private transfer. Its possible the Royal Caribbean could help you find a better rate. It never hurts to ask.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

We just drove our rental car there and back, lots less money than a taxi or private transfer.

8. Re: Transport Hotel Zone to Xel Ha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:17