We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

I will be in Cancun for a month (March) and will be working on my laptop 40 hours per week. My hotel has wifi in the courtyard but not in the rooms. I am thinking I should buy a usb modem from Telcel. I see on the Telcel website that I can get 3 gb of Internet for 30 days for 399 pesos.

www.internet.telcel.com/computadoras.html…

There is no price listed for the modems. So I used the live chat option to talk to Telcel customer service (gotta love Google Translate) and asked about prices. The agent refused to tell me! Said I must talk to someone on the phone or go to a service centre to find out. So I would like to know if anyone has any experience in these matters.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

You can use any unlocked smart phone (Samsung Pocket, Iphone etc, that you can buy in USA) to create your own wifi, just insert the Telcel SIM and ready!

Edited: 18 January 2014, 02:19
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

Thanks DreamDays,

But I need to edit documents on a laptop, so that would not suffice.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

Smart Cellphones can create wifi, also calls MiFi, and up to 5 devices can connect to use it, same as if any other WiFi network, but personal from your cellphone

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

also calls "hotspot" see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATmcV0oc08

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

You should also bear in mind that it will only work if you have a good signal - it's possible that you won't have service from your hotel room.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

Thanks for these responses. I have enquired about the cell signal in the hotel and am waiting for a response. I did a bit of reading and understand that using the "personal hotspot" is what used to be called tethering. So to do this, I would need a Telcel SIM for my phone and unlimited data from Telcel, correct? I am guessing it would drain my phone battery in a hurry. Am still hoping someone will respond about the Telcel USB modem.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

No, you do not need unlimited data, it works exact same as Cellphone hotspot usage, with difference that SIM is in USB device. You can get USB device on ebay, insert Telcel SIM, and ready to get online

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

Also, "I would need a Telcel SIM for my phone and" unless your phone is unlocked, it will not accept any other SIM but only yours US currier you got your phone from.

Also, you can use cellphone as USB Modem, connect thru usb instead of creating hotspot.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

My phone is unlocked, so I do plan to buy a Telcel SIM anyway. I think any solution involving using my phone to access wifi has the problem of draining the battery on my phone.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Telcel usb modem---does anyone have any experience?

Thanks everyone for these replies. I am going to do as you suggest and use my android phone as a personal hotspot with a Telcel SIM. Here's another question: I want to get the 3 GB Telcel data plan for one month. Can I sign up for and pay for it at an OXXO or little Telcel tienda where I get a SIM? I hope I don't have to go to a Telcel customer service centre.