We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

I booked for Sun Palace for a trip in June and one of the selling points was the resort credis. The possibility of using resort credits to upgrade to concierge level was one of the biggest reasons we chose Sun Palace. Now that you cannot upgrade rooms, I'm not thrilled with the iea of having to go off resort every day all day to "spend" them as the big perk of an all-inclusive is to eat/drink what you're paying for. Taking a trip to do stuff is a good break, but you let a lot of dollars go unused and at that point, there is no real point to having the resort credits in my opinion.

This is for a trip to celebrate a 15th wedding anniversary and my 40th birthday. Need an adults only, 4 star or better recommendation with good food and relaxation trip. Good wifi access is a must as we'll use facetime/skype to keep in touch with our kids back home. We'd like great food and have some entertainment at the resort.

What would you suggest?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,014 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

We like the Palace resorts, but I much preferred Secrets the Vine over Sun Palace. We felt the food selection was WAY better, and the rooms were also much better. Both have good service, but overall we just enjoyed the look and feel of Secrets the Vine better.

ireland
Level Contributor
290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

I'm in the same boat thought we will get a room upgrade but we will stick with sun palace and can use a little of it for the spa . What else can we use it for and what trips are available . A bit worried about trips as we be there in July

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

Also check out Live Aqua. Good wifi, lovely pool area and beach, nice spa, modern and zen.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

Even if you could still use them there is a very good chance that o concierge level rooms will be available when you check in.

You knew this when you booked.

Why change now?

There truly isn't much difference at all between the rooms.

Keep in mind that since you are celebrating both an anniversary and birthday that your chances of being upgraded are very high even without the credits.

You can use the credits for a very nice photo session with prints to take home, a romantic dinner on the beach, wine/champagne, spa.

texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

After having stayed at SP, I can't imagine how the upgrade could make your stay any more special. Sun Palace is amazing! Great food, excellent beach and the staff and service are incredible! You can use credits for day trips but also for silver, sunglasses, tequila, wine, spa and cigars, just to name a few. Hope

You decide to stay with Sum, you won't be disappointed!

ireland
Level Contributor
290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

Does anyone have a list resort credit can be spend and any info re trips that can be done too

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

Here is the list with pricing for trips and such that I've seen to make use of the credits:

http://www.palaceresortsagents.com/pdf/flyers/PAL6992-PR-$1500-RC-Flyer%2824APR2013%29.pdf

I've read that the use of credits towards merchandise was such a bad deal because it was so incredibly overpriced that by the time you paid the tax on it, you didn't come out ahead. You're only allowed something like $300 of the credits at the spa and I can't imagine any worse of a value of $300 towards dinner on the beach.

My top 3 choices when I narrorwed down were Sun Palace, Live Aqua, and EPM. The Beloved was also considered, but apparently isn't adults only so I eliminated that one pretty quickly. I think I'm going to make the switch to EPM.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

I would say Live Aqua is comparable to Sun but with nicer pools - LA has more space to spread out and you didn't feel like you were right on top of one another. We loved LA! Have been there 3 times. Just be aware that the standard rooms at LA are pretty basic.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

I really loved the pool deck at LA, as well as the spa and fitness area. Lobby is so expansive and I wish they would add a lobby bar, as that is sorely needed IMO.

We had a basic oceanview room our 2nd visit to LA and were fine with it, though we did enjoy the Club level on our first stay.

We have not stayed at Sun Palace, only visited when we were at LeBlanc. We just did not like the feel of the resort, the crowded pool area and the resort style and layout as a whole just did not appeal.

If you switch to EPM, you are really compromising on the beach and ocean quality IMO, as well as location.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancel Sun Palace reservation for what?

I've never been to Cancun so I know nothing about the local stuff. I just intended to find a nice AI where we were free of the kids for a week and have all the good food/drinks I could handle for the week. What should I do in town as a first timer?