We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

Mediapolis, Iowa
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

I think I read on this forum where someone said they used their AAA coverage to provide some or all of the required car insurance in Mexico. I called my AAA (Iowa\MN) and they said my AAA Plus did not provide any car insurance for a car rented in Mexico. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

<<I called my AAA (Iowa\MN) and they said my AAA Plus did not provide any car insurance for a car rented in Mexico.>>

IMO, They are THE ones to know best. I'd listen to them rather than to anyone on a forum.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

No AAA. You may be confused with some posts stating their American Express provided some coverage?

To my knowledge-AE provides SOME but not enough for my comfort.

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

To my knowledge, even IF a credit card or AAA does provide some or even all the insurance for a rental car, chances are it won't be recognized in Mexico and you will still have to pony up cash in case of an incident and get reimbursed for the expense. To me, it is so much easier to buy the insurance when I rent a car and not have the concern of having to find a bunch of cash if something happens.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,477 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

Agree. If you don´t buy the insurance when you rent the car, don´t count on it being of any value. Buy the local insurance.

5. Re: Does AAA provide any car rental insurance in Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 07:17