We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft prevention

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Theft prevention

Often, one hears about theft from the hotel room safe.There is a master key or code, known by management (or other hotel personnel. I would like to hear about tricks or tips about prevention from the safe.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft prevention

Lock the safe when you leave the room.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft prevention

I've never had anything stolen from the room safe and whilst I'm absolutely not saying that it doesn't happen, my hunch is that the majority of "thefts" are simple cases of lapsed memory or miscounting (in the case of cash) - either alcohol assisted or not - on the part of the alleged victim.

That said, if you're really worried, check out:

- http://www.milockie.com/

- http://pacsafe.com/products

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
336 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft prevention

This video will make you think twice or at least try easy password combo's to make sure the hotel did not leave or set a ridiculously easy password

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7M84khZy8

Also, there is different devices such as: http://www.milockie.com/ to deter this.. but again - like anything, if someone wants to get in, they will.

We use the hotel safe after checking some combinations like 00000 or 12345 and you could even leave some things in luggage with a luggage lock.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft prevention

Our friends had their safe broken in to while we were on vacation with them. They broke in the room thru a window and then were able to jam the safe open (this was a fire box kind, not the electronic metal ones). So yes, it can happen, but you can get hit by a car walking across the street too. And yes, the hotel is able to get in to your electronic safes - they have to - what if you forget your combination or it just stops working? We still use our safes, make sure they are closed tightly when you leave, don't say your "code" out loud in the room (someone could be outside of your door listening), and have fun on vacation!

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft prevention

And...don't wait until the last minute to open the safe to remove documents/$$ if you have some place that you have to be. If you can't open the safe you may have some drama getting to the airport on time!! We have had trouble getting into our safe, and it took a little while to get someone to open it. Luckily we just had a sand gravity date!

We have been very fortunate to have had no problems with our safe being broken into or opened. We are pretty OCD about checking it several times before walking out of the room. It definitely could happen-but I don't think you will need to stress about it!

kansas city
Level Contributor
254 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft prevention

I have been to Cancun many times never had anything stolen.

The hotel we stay at does not have a master code for the safe. I know this for a fact as last year someone locked the safe before they left. It took the staff about 2 hours using some device to open it.

About 8 years ago before electronic safes I lost the key,the staff had to drill and put in a new lock, cost me 85.00 usd.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft prevention

When we were at the Hilton some years ago, our door lock stopped working so we called down to the desk. They misunderstood and thought our safe wasn't working. He came in with some sort of hand held device and headed right to our safe. He thought we couldn't get that open. Seems pretty easy for them if they have to, assuming they have the right equipment.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft prevention

I have never had anything stolen and I have rarely used a safe. I usually travel with my laptop and it remains connected on a table or desk from arrival to departure. And this includes hotels large and small. I just returned from small hotels in Veracruz and San Cristobal, Chiapas and no problems.

California, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft prevention

Leave occupied tag on door, lol

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft prevention

You can't rely on that one. Last trip my hubby spent a lot of time in the room working, and he had the do not disturb sign out. One day he got a knock on the door, and he remained silent, to see what would happen. It was the frig guy and he walked in anyways.

You can worry yourself sick about getting robbed, but it doesn't happen that often. I guess being aware that it CAN and taking some basic precautions does not hurt, but don't let it be the focus of your trip.