We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

My husband and I are looking to get away for an anniversary trip for a week. I am trying to decide between these two resorts. I was pretty set on EPM but then in pricing everything out Secrets came out a good amount cheaper for the trip. looking for a lot of R&R, good food, good drink, beach time, relaxing pool time, enjoy late night swims too.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

Both resorts have great service, lots of food options, and great food. STV wins on the rooms - they are huge, and all have a nice balcony with view of the ocean or lagoon or both. when you say late night swimming do you mean in the pool or ocean? at a couple of the resorts we have been at, they put chemicals in the pools early evening, and recommend not using them. EPM has swim outs, and they do not add the chemicals to them so you can swim 24 hours! STV has the advantage of everything being so new! EPM is nice to walk through with bridges, swinging beds, hammocks, & flowers. You can't go wrong at either. If someone asked me which I prefer, I would have to think about it, because both of them have a lot of great selling points!

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

Yeah I meant late night pool swim. I was pretty set that EPM was the resort for us and had most of what we were looking for. Then pricing it out STV is coming to almost $1k cheaper for a week...

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

For $1000, STV no question. Way better beach and excellent rooms/service.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

Agree, for $1k less, Secrets! Wonderful resort. But it is a high rise on a much smaller footprint than Excellence so it feels more crowded. In addition, if you're looking at the base room catrgory - deluxe ocean view at Secrets vs. jr, suite spa or pool view at Excellence, the rooms at Excellence are twice the size.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

Since it's incorrectly listed under Cancun here, I wanted to make sure you knew these resorts were in 2 different locations. STV is in fact in Cancun's hotel zone, while EPM is in Playa Mujeres, about 30 min north of Cancun.

Some people prefer one or the other. Like another poster wrote, STV will be a high rise on the beach while EPM will be spread out. The beach at STV will have rougher water, but will be far more beautiful in clarity and color. It won't suffer the seaweed issues that the PM beach often does.

Cancun is easily accessible to off-resort activities. Playa Mujeres is isolated, and a pricey cab ride to anything off-resort, with the exception of the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Not a problem if you don't intend to leave the resort at all,

Mentioned in this post
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

I have not stayed at STV but often stay in the hotel zone and I have stayed once at EPM.

I would choose STV hands down for the reasons RM lists above. Much better beach and awesome ocean colors/water quality. Great location that is not isolated. And I have enjoyed my two stays at Secrets resorts and did not enjoy my one stay at EPM. Food and beverage quality was much better at Secrets.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

The food at Secrets The Vine was amazingly good, eight kinds of sashimi for lunch, fantastic osso Bucco for dinner, very good cappuccino all day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

I haven't stayed at STV.

The food at EPM was not very good. Beds super hard- did not have a restful sleep at all. Too much seagrass to go in the water 5 out of 7 days. Pool side drink service very slow (under staffed). We booked an EC RTT and didn't find it to be worth the extra money.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

Wow! $1000.00 less?? Go for it!!

10. Re: Secrets Vine or Excellence PM ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:18