We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

Just wondering from others experience if they have bought one of those tours to chichen itza; if so was it woth it or what didnt you like?

Or would it be better to rent a car and drive ourselves? Thoughts??

Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

Your 1st time to the area I would suggest the tour bus or private tour. In either case see if you can work out the side trip to Ek Balam where you can climb the pyramid.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

There are small and large tour groups. You can also have a private tour. What will vary is cost, flexibility, time spent picking up others, etc.

Plus with a large group you may be there when there are beaucoup others which may mean a different experience than if you are there with a small group, a private group or by yourself.

I prefer to be there near opening time.

Should you decide to drive, the Mayan Adventure map/guide from cancunmap.com might be very useful.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

My late husband and I rented a car and drove there the one and only time we stayed in Cancun, easy drive, no problems at all.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

I have been there twice -- once with a very nice tour via bus and last year with a nightmare tour. I can't remember what company the nice one was -- but last year I'm pretty sure it was called GoMexico -- I'd avoid at all costs. We were told my 3 year old was free but not that that meant holding her on my lap for the three-hour ride in nonairconditioning -- plus they had no ticket for her when we got there. We stopped at a place for lunch that made my husband sick. It was relatively cheap, so you get what you pay for ... I would look for maybe a smaller tour other than a large bus or drive. I think the travel company Best Day offers tours and they seemed very reputable (we used them for transfers). It seems to me the tour buses all get there late in the day because they stop at the cenotes first (which are worth visting). Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Best Day
Best Day
4,693 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

rent a car or hire car service, this way you can see much more same day, combine Chichen-Itza & Ek Balam or & Tulum or &Coba, or all same day! If doing this separately, too much time wasted on the road

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Coba
Coba
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

Driving to chichen itza from Cancun can be a great experience, there are many beautiful places to see along the way. We wrote a post on this topic recently that outlines some of the costs and shows you some of the places that you see along the way.

cancunphotowalks.com/2014/02/19/chichen_itza/

If you have any questions we are glad to help.

Dan,

Cancun Photo walks

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

Try to stop at the Ik Kil cenote near C. Itza. Adding in Ek Balam and a short stop in Valladolid will add time to your trip length but is worth it in my opinion.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 17:06
san francisco
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

Last weekend we rented a car for $49 and drove there from hotel zone, took 2 hours one way, no traffic, car parking is 22 peso. Dont recommend tours.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

I would definitely rent a car. One of many problems with large group tours is that you often waste a lot of time with shopping stops or restaurants who pay the guide a commission . Many times that is the only way they would ever get business.

10. Re: Rent a car or buy tour to chichen itza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 07:18