We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flaming Mayan Coffee...

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Flaming Mayan Coffee...

I've still not enjoyed one of these, and am going to try to make sure that we do on our next visit....

I wasn't aware that there could be different versions!

So, can anybody make a recommendation...

These are the ones I am seeing:

Of course, the first choice would be the Mayan, while in the area.

But, I wonder which of the others may be smoother?

Thanks for any insight!

Mexican - Kahlua and Tequila

Mayan - Kahlua and XTabentun

Spanish - Kahlua and Brandy

Italian - Kahlua and Amaretto

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

Smoothest should be Mayan and Italian.

Spanish might be ok but if they use crappy brandy, it might have some afterburn. Ditto with Mexican if they use a harsh tasting tequila.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

I am getting undustrious here, and looked up the XTabentun...

Interesting. I might have to try the original Mayan version of Mayan Coffee, out of curiosity!

Here are some comments off of Wiki :

The word xtabentún means "vines growing on stone" in the Mayan language. It refers to the Christmas vine (Turbina corymbosa), a species of morning glory whose seeds contain ergine and have hallucinogenic properties

Xtabentún is an anise liqueur made in Mexico's Yucatán region from anise seed, and fermented honey produced by honey bees from the nectar of xtabentún flowers. Rum is then added to the anise and honey mixture. Because of the rum content, the xtabentún liqueur is sometimes called a "distilled honey" beverage, which is misleading, because the honey alcohol is fermented, not distilled. Distilleries still survive today in the Yucatán that produce the liqueur

It is usually served straight, cold, or with ice and honey. It can also be served with coffee, or with one shot of tequila and an equal part xtabentún, creating a drink called "Mayan coffee".

Edited: 06 February 2014, 16:57
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

LOL - I looked up the same article. My thinking is that the sweetness of the honey would make the end product smooth but if a very rough rum was used, the end product could be pretty fiery.

I know that I'm asking a great deal but, in the interests of a complete and thorough scientific investigation, I would propose that you personally sample as many Mayan coffees and shots of Xtabentún as humanly possible on your next trip to Mexico and report back with your findings.

Salut!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

As many as possible!!!

To bad they are not covered under the AI plan!!

Hahahaha!!!

Thanks!

5. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 22:40
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

I love Mayan coffee (I get it with decaf coffee though as I cannot have caffeinne). Have had Mayan and Italian coffees many, many times after dinner while in Cancin. At the Palace and Hard Rock properties, they are included in the AI price (pretty much everything is!). I've never had an extra charge for them.

I can't stand brany and enjoy my tequile ice cold, so those are out for me. But the other 2 are delicious and quite smooth.

Xtabuten is also very tasty on it's own.

I would suggest you sample away and find your favorite! Enjoy!

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

Taxi - I believe upwards if $90

Edited: 07 February 2014, 17:15
BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

We like them all, though have a decided preference for a Mayan Coffee. We like to end our night with one and split a dessert.

Half the enjoyment is watching your drink being made table side. Every time in have one of these coffees I'm transported back to the first time I had one in Cancun at a place long gone, Gypsies - I still miss that place!

Whoops, back to the drink Xtabentum is a great after dinner digestif - adding it to the coffee drink a perfect ending after dinner :)

Ugh I hate when my phone holds a previous response!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

Thanks!

PS: And, if I am assuming correctly what the question to that answer is... Nope, not even close to that...

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flaming Mayan Coffee...

Are you able to buy Xtabentun anywhere to bring home?

Thanks