We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Can you (talking to the folks who go to Cancun a lot) interpret the 7-10 day outlook for us?

What I see is a lot of rain. I am hoping that "70% chance of rain" means a shower here and there, not all-day rain.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Just keep looking for a forecast that you can live with..7 to 10 days is long time to try And forecast..I have found this one to be as accurate as any...

www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast.m…

Placerville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Weather forecasts more than five days out aren't much better than a random guess. For Cancun 20-30% chance of showers is a good forecast. 70% chance doesn't look so good, but more than a few days in advance doesn't mean much. No matter what the weather, being concerned will not make a difference!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

On one of my trips, the forecast was at least 80% chance of rain every day.

What we got was a 30 second sprinkle on one day and about 3 minutes of real rain on another - not even enough to scare most people off the beach.

If you must look at weather forecasts, then also check out some local webcams so you can see what "70% chance of rain" actually looks like. FWIW, it means a 70% chance of rain at SOME POINT during the day. It does not mean that it will rain for 70% of the time over a 24 hour period.

Placerville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Exactly. 70% chance of rain means of any precipitation at all, or a 30% chance of no rain at all. That forecast will almost certainly change over the next week....too far out to be be accurate at this point.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Here right now, few clouds this morning and then nothing but sun! And hot!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

I am more concerned about the weather forecast back home. My biggest fear is getting out of Boston in the winter.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Thanks-that's what I was hoping to hear; showers here and there are nothing to worry about.

8. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 15:20
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,894 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

I see 10% chance which is quite low

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we be concerned about the forecast?

Without reading the previous posts, I'll say this. I start checking the forecast about 3 weeks out. They usually don't look good. The last 2January or February trips the forecasts were bleak. January 2012 in PDC we got rain for several hours one day. A year ago in Cancun, we got rain for ten minutes the entire week.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico