We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping $1 being cheap?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping $1 being cheap?

Hi Everyone! I am going to Cancun for the first time in April and staying in Sandos All Inclusive. Since it's all inclusive, including the tip, do staff still expect a tip regardless? Is tipping only $1 extra being too cheap? I figure since it's already fixed into the price, this is an extra I'm giving.

Thank you!

Placerville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

What would you be tipping $1 for? Drinks, meals, housekeeping, etc? Better $1 than nothing. I don't think that's being cheap for a couple drinks, but for a nice sit-down dinner with great service....yes.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

It might be a little low, but like Autumn said it's better than nothing. Typically we tip in pesos but the equivalents of $2-3 per round of drinks, $5 per day for housekeeping, and $5-$10 for meals with the higher amount being for dinner.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

We always bring a bunch of ones and fives with us, and we tip a lot and often

Maine
Level Contributor
118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

Tipping will dramatically improve your service. I usually do $1 every time I get a drink $5 a day for house keeping and then a little more at meals.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

Well this is certainly a touchy subject but I feel tipping is what I can really afford for the whole trip, not what others expect. We go to Cancun often and there have been years when money was tight and the AI trip was just about the max we could afford. I never felt the staff held it against us if we tipped just $1 per round of drinks for example. And when times were good, we gave more. I think giving your "personal" maximum is what it's about. But, yes, you absolutely should tip, imho, it's just a personal decision on how much. I think when you get there you will see that the workers in Cancun are a big reason so many of us keep going back.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

Maid and Bartenders make around 9USD per day here....That in itself should be your barometer on what to tip....

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

We tip the same in Cancun as we do at home. Good service gets 20%. The waiters work for very little wage and depend a lot on tips, even though it says tips are included I wonder if that money ever gets back to the workers and if it does I really doubt that they get the equal to 20%. We haven't done all inclusive in a long time but when we did we tipped like it wasn't included. It just didn't feel right getting up from what would have been a $80 bill and not leaving a nice tip when you received excellent service. Slide the bartender $5 when you order your first drink and I think you will not only get faster, better service but your drinks will be much better.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

Thanks for your input. I'm usually a fair tipper, but it's the thought of already being charged a tip that's discouraging me from going all out. I'll go by the rule of tipping if they go above and beyond expected service. I don't drink often, so I don't really need attention from the bartender haha.

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

Tip the towel guy at the pool. I do it because they deserve it and I get a kick out of the look on their face when you tip them. Most people just toss their dirty towels at them and take new ones.

Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping $1 being cheap?

20%?? i am thinking about this. My trip was 2500. Minus a grand for the flight. That makes it 1500, yep, I bring about 300 for tipping. "Sometimes" <when I'm drunk> I get carried away. I have been known to give a 20 when I find a fav or at the end of the week. But we usually can drop about 300 for 7 days . But then again, the staff catches on quick and I enjoy being treated like I am really on vacation. :)