We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Safety in Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nederland, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Personal Safety in Cancun

I know this has been asked and it is even a FAQ, but my Dad keeps sending me links to sites showing and telling of awful things happening to folks in Mexico. I KNOW he just loves me and is concerned for my safety. I am thinking that most of the bad things that happen are not in the Cancun area. We are staying at Riu Las Americas and plan to stay on the property the whole time. How can I convince him to not worry? ( Probably won't, but I'd like to)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

Very simple. Geography. We all studied it in school. When Dad sends you information of bad things happening, point out the "where".

If bad things happen in South Dakota or New Hampshire, would your Dad suggest not visiting Texas?

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

artdecosuites.com/2012/…

Is his city as safe ? I'm sure Houston is close to any of the cities that are listed. I grew up in queens NY, Europe, Turkey & Savannah GA. Cancun is much safer then any of those places. Cancun is very safe compared to any medium size city in the US.. .

Lockport, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

I'm not familiar with where you live, but I'm from the Chicago area. If you believe all of the news headlines for Chicago, you'd think it was a war zone...not the case at all. I think the only thing you can do is show the actual crime statistics for the Cancun resort area and offer to stay in touch while in Mexico.

Happy travels!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

Its a shame that you are spooked as to not leaving the hotel property. if you can find me 5 people that were abducted in Cancun as tourists, please let your dad know, and myself as I live here.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

Invite him to come with.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

I didn't catch the part about not leaving your resort. If you're actually serious in that regard, I honestly believe you shouldn't bother to come. Save your money and vacation somewhere closer to home. What a pity.

Life is short. Choose not to live it in fear.

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

I live in Iowa and I feel safer walking the streets of the Cancun Hotel Zone than the town I live in. I'm 63 and would give my kids a list of the places to visit in Cancun starting with the Mall across the street from your Resort. We're staying next door from 3/7 to 13. If you're there then I'l go with you for protection when you leave the resort.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

We have stayed at RPLA and it is in a very nice area. I agree with a previous poster...please go off the resort property and enjoy the hotel zone and the rest of the community. If you are uncomfortable, go during the day. Even taking the bus is much more of a great adventure than in any way dangerous. Once you have gone there I believe that you (and your Dad) will feel much more comfortable about the area and know that generally it is a very safe place to vacation!

I believe that by the end of your stay you will be wandering all over the place.

Go...enjoy!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,052 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

Some people enjoy staying at a pool or taking organized BIG BUS tours because its safe that way (eyes roll)

A Canadian tourist was just killed outside his Florida condo - is Florida safe?

Best to show your Dad this safety video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pzb3dIazGc

Nederland, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Personal Safety in Cancun

Thanks everyone! I just hoped to settle his mind. I'm his only kid (even though I'm 42) I'm still his little girl. I MYSELF am not worried. I'm a chicken and wouldn't go somewhere I felt uncomfortable! I have been to Cozumel many times on cruises and NEVER felt the least bit uncomfortable. I guess I should have waited until closer to tell him I was going LOL