We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly concerned about tipping

plymouth
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly concerned about tipping

From what I'm reading is it right we have to tip everyone for everything they do ? So for every drink I get I tip ?? Sort of defeats the object of all inclusive , I don't want to have to worry about paying people or taking money with me to the swimming pool or beach , that's why I booked all inclusive !!! I think the trips I had planned with the kids will have to take a back seat as reading around seems like you need a lot of money just for tipping ???

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

No you do not have to tip and I see many people who don't tip, but tipping is something we do for good service.

Thats just the way we are.

You don't need alot of tip money, I put a few ones in the book I am reading and have never had any problems with someone stealing it. My husband keeps some in his swim shorts pockets, and most servers are used to wet money!

Don't feel you have to cancel a tour because of not having enough tip money and don't feel you have to tip for every drink either.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

We are currently here at the FACC and we do tip as the service is outstanding . I must say maybe because we are we are never without drink or food too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

You do not have to tip at an all-inclusive but the servers hope that you do, of course. Most Americans do tip (not sure where you live) a dollar or 2 here and there for good service, especially at the pool, beach and specialty restaurants.

I just got back and observed that non Americans did not tip and everyone got the same good service. I can tell you though that the tippers at the pool and bars received drinks even before they were finished though and non tippers must ask. Is this fair? You still get good service hopefully whatever you choose. If it is a matter of having to choose excursions OR tipping, then I would choose excursions :-).

It's your vacation, enjoy!

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

Possibly the term TIPS, should be replaced by Reward for outstanding service..All Inclusives banter the term "gratituties included "..That is just not the case ..

If you feel the service was below par, don't TIP..

Above par, TIP accordingly..

Yes TIPS are a way of life in the US and it has migrated to Cancun..

No need to over TIP, just a few shekel's here and there..Most will appreciate the gesture...

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

Good post litenlarry. Thanks.

Not to get into the "tipping" argument, but for a long time now I have fleetingly thought about posing this question:

We see on the websites, "Taxes and gratuities included". Many believe the "gratuity" bit is not true, and we should be tipping anyway, because "They don't make very much".

To my way of thinking, it is not the fault of the client that "They don't make very much". It's the responsibility of the wealthy resort owners (mostly foreign) to pay their workers a living wage. The gratuities I give to the workers are for good service AFTER that service has been rendered. And I have to say, in all of our many trips to Mexico, it is very rare that we do not receive good service.

Which brings me to the part about "taxes included". Many say that even though gratuities are included, that's not really true, and we should tip over the top anyway. Does the same hold true for "taxes included"? Should we also be shelling out an extra amount of pesos at checkout to subsidize the taxes for those owners?

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes I just have too much time on my hands, and maybe overthink. :o)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Listowel, Ontario...
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

I tip, and I tip well, because generally the service I receive is above the standard or on par with the service I receive at home. I guess if you want excellent service, go ahead and give your bartender a $10 tip at the beginning of the day, see what happens. I can tell you that the bar can be full, but he can spot me and my drink is replenished before I can be thirsty again. I can be in the pool and the bartender will call me in because he see's my drink is empty. Common courtesy and kindness goes along way as well!

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

Jim M, your last sentence is golden. How true!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

We also tip well, but we tip in pesos, remember they are waterproof, so no worries is they get wet. We tip the maid, mini bar guy, waiters, bar tenders and bell boys. We also have no problem starting out with a 100 peso tip if we are going to be at the pool all day and want the waiter to keep them coming. We would then tip 20 pesos every round or so after. We probably spend about $150/week in tips.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,896 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

If you do go on an outside tour without any money for tips, I would recommend a cheaper tour and take a taxi and do it yourself

Those tour guides will do so much to make your trip special, please do not short change them

chateauguay quebec
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slightly concerned about tipping

of course nurseplymounth is worry, in the last post avbout tipping, some weren talking about 300$ a week of tipping!, that made me worried also, until I tld myself 3 things:

1- yes I tip and as a solo traveller, I tip between 15 to 20$ a day, and that's it

2- maybe I am not use to Mexico ways, but to all the people I spoke, no one ever tip 300$ a week

3- I am not there to say if true or just bragging.

so yes, we should tip for good service and not to get our drink before everybody else! good for you if you can tip above average, but it is still above average.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America