We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared silly....Royal Solaris

Atkinson, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scared silly....Royal Solaris

I am going to the Royal Solaris on 3/2/05 with my 2 kids and husband. I have been reading the reviews faithfully and I am scared silly that they are overbooking so often that we will be stuck in Cancun with no hotel. What do you think?

Atkinson, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

c'mon, no one?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

I'm not familiar with that hotel, but whatever happens, they will always move you to another hotel. Not sure how it works because it has never happened to me, but rest assured, you will be accommodated and not hanging w/suitcases in hand on the streets of Cancun

Send emails or call to confirm your RSVP...if youhave a travel agent, have them check for you

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

I have also read the hotel reviews and they are frightening.

We sent an e-mail to the hotel and have heard nothing after days!! We did a reliable package deal and have paid. My son and his best friend are going (ages 21 and 20) and we do not want them to get there and be directed to an inferior property outside of Cancun which happened to a few people.

We are thinking of switching them to the Riu Caribe which is an option I found out.

We are not travelling with them and are quite concerned if they get bumped. Agent says not to worry. Where are the good travel agents?? I know more than they do now with all the research I have done. We used to have an agent who would go the extra mile. We travel a lot. This property looked fun and we did not book far enough in advance.

Any comments or suggestions. Thank you.

toronto, on
Level Contributor
673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

if you can book them in at riu caribe, they won't be disappointed, in fact they'll have a great time

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

I must admit Royal solaris was my favorite hotel in cancun. The ONLY problem I had was the location. OTHERWISE wouldn't hesitate staying there. Was there in 2003, since then we visit another hotel in 2004 Tucancun. Royal solaris food and entertainment was the BEST. GO HAVE FUN YOU WILL ENJOY IT I PROMISE. I think it was saturday night when they set tables up around the pool overlooking the ocean for a Barbeque. This year I'm looking back at the tucacun due to price or Riu cancun.

Have fun..

YOu will love it

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,444 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

Hopefully, you booked w/a good travel agent and will have back-up help should you run into problems! Please be certain to post upon returning, so we will know to keep booking or not!

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

We booked with an airline vacation program. We did connect with an agent today who was pleasant, but said Royal Solaris is a three star. When we booked it another agent said it was a four star- who do you believe? You get a different person every time you call. Our travel agent retired and we have found no one to help that knows the business as well or is as sophisticated. We travel a lot, and she knew her business. I have had fun researching it. This website is helpful. We will keep you posted.

Nashville
Level Contributor
61 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

I'm booked at the Royal Solaris for 3/14.I think it is one of the better hotels for the price.If I get bumped to another hotel it will probably the gr.solaris since most the people who booked with apple vacations are getting moved to that hotel.I'm not changing or worrying about it .i'll have a good time regardless.4th time to cancun and looking foward to it.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

Question for KatD

Do you have a favorite hotel in Cancun?

Thank you for your response earlier.

Chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scared silly....Royal Solaris

Just got back last nite from the Royal Solarlis...Yes they overbooked. When we were there it seemed to be affecting most the people who booked through SunQuest(a Canadian travel service). People were shipped to the Riviera Maya, condos down the beach, etc.

Thought the resort was great, but not sure we would book again due to the overbooking issue. Wouldn't be worth the hassle. We booked through Apple...and didn't hear of anyone from Apple being bumped.

Our flight got there before noon...which I think gave us priority on rooms...a little deadly when it came to getting up at 3 am to get to the airport and off by 6, but we got there early. I would assume most hotels are not able to give you a room until 3 or after. People check out by 11 and they need time to clean rooms. This is a busy season and they will be filled up and not have extra rooms to assign. Pack a change of clothes. Royal Solaris has lockers and a locker room....$2 key charge, refundable when returned. Luggage can be left with bellman.

But I've also seen other hotels on this forum with Overbooking issues. Royal Solaris is considered a 5 apple resort and I would agree.