We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

Morgan Hill...
6 posts
Save Topic
Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

(Wasn't quite sure what category to post this question)

I am booking a tour that has marvelous reviews on TripAdvisor, but I have some concern about how they want me to confirm the tour (note, they do not take any deposit for the tour).

They mention in an email:

VERY IMPORTANT: After you arrive at your resort, please send us your room number. We must have this information because this is required for our service order, this reconfirms the excursion and we need this information to enter the resort to pick you up.

They also ask for identification, either Driver's License or Passport (actual or copy)

Are either of these too much to be asking for?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

The room number makes sense, so they have a good way to contact you in case of a change. The ID only if you are paying by credit card. What type of tour is this?

Morgan Hill...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

They only accept cash, no credit card. This is a small tour (up to 16 participants) from Cancun to Chichen Itza, Mayan Ruins in the Mexican Yucatan.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

Are they asking to keep a copy of your ID or for you to just show it (to prove you are who you say you are)? If the latter then I don't see any issue. If the former then personally I don't have a problem but if you feel strongly about it then don't do it - but requesting ID is generally far more common in Mexico than back home.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

The room number thing is normal - the resort we stayed at last year had 3 security gates - unless you had a legitimate reason (eg name and room number of guest you ate picking up) they would not let you in.

The ID I can understand just so they can check you are who you say you are - I'd take a photocopy so you can leave your originals in the safe.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

What's the name of the company?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

I think the room # request is odd. I have never been asked for my room #.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

Some resorts will prevent vehicles entering without the name of the person they are collecting and room number - I think it is a common sense precaution.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

Ive figured out that I prefer doing things on my own so maybe I have not booked a tour in the past that needed my room #.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

I think the room number is fine and to see your id. I would do it, but I'm not generally worried about these things. Some people are less comfortable so if does make you feel nervous, just wait and book there. There are many tours you can book once you arrive.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Requirements - Are They AskingToo Much?

Is this Flavio tours you're referring to?