We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Para Glide

PA
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
Save Topic
Para Glide

Returned from CUN on friday, 3/14....Stayed at Royal Islander....U MUST try Para Glider...Here's what happens: They put a helmet and life vest on u....Then u get into a seat w/ pilot...There's a boat in the sea; w/ a tow line that attaches to seat and harness...Boat pulls us from beach until u r 1200 ft in the air...Pilot detaches tow line; then it's FREE GLIDE. No motor; just glider...OMG, what a view...I took my camera w/ me and got some amazing shots...Pilot takes u very close to resort, which makes for better pics.. Ride lasted about 20 mins.....Friends took pics from beach..This is 20 times better than parasailing....U GOTTA TRY IT!!!!! Cost $100...For $50 extra they give u a video setup, that u control....I elected not to...My pics are Gold...

PA
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Para Glide

Anyone tried it?

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
141 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Para Glide

This sounds exciting... Did your hotel set this up?

PA
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Para Glide

Love2, No, the company set up on the beach in front of Great Parnassus....They do not fly if it's too windy..

PA
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Para Glide

Correction!!! They setup between Great Parn and Royal Islander.. (there is no resort there)

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Para Glide

Where do you land ???? Got to try this. In Cancun, many years ago, they used to have 2 titan missiles about 40 feet apart with a giant sling shot & metal cage that was shot out above the lagoon. Insane. You do know that it would be nearly impossible to sue if you get hurt in Mexico. Self responsibility I think.

PA
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Para Glide

U start from the beach and land in the same spot..The pilot was excellent...

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Para Glide

In May 2010 they were test marketing this on Maroma Beach.It was fun to do and did not cost a thing except for a tip.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Para Glide

We witnessed this a few weeks ago further up the beach. Looked a little risky to me. They were over the beach close to the resorts not out over the water where you'd think it would be safer. We just saw them whiz by, did not see the takeoff or landing.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Para Glide

Sounds like fun!

Reminds me of the good ole days when the para sailors would take off and land right on the beach. The govt put a halt to that after a few of them were slammed into hotels upon landing, This collapsed the chutes and killed some people. Where did you land at? In the water, or on the beach? The ride time will depend on wind speed I'd imagine. Little to no wind,hmmm? Short ride or no rides at all?

In summary, sounds like fun! Honestly, I do not think this will last that long. I suspect the govt intervene and shut this down due to safety issues. Question in my eyes is when? B4, or after someone is injured, or killed? WE shall see.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 22:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Para Glide

I did it in Turks and Caicos.

It was a nice experience but have to say I wouldn't do it again. You really are at the mercy of the wind and we were told by the guide that those who take you near to the resort are really irresponsible because you just cannot control what happens and are more likely to get injured.

Plus my travel insurance.doesn't cover it!