We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Mexico

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First Timer to Mexico

Just planning our first trip to Mexico and thinking of staying in the Cancun area. Just needing some advice on best area to stay. We are travelling with young adults who will be interested in nightlife and us in our 50s that don't like it too rowdy but also not too quiet. Thinking of staying around June time so would also like to know about weather etc. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Coco Bongo Cancun
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos
Cuncrawl
Bar, Club & Pub Tours
The City Discotheque
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Mexico

Anywhere in Cancun will be fine. There is a bus that runs up and down the hotel zone so the young ones can head to the clubs if they want. We have been to the area in April (water not as warm) and July/August (almost too warm). June sounds perfect.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Mexico

Early June is great. Stay in the lower part of the 7 for great waves ( careful of the undertow & currents) or the top for bay like water ( expect more seaweed on the beach ) either on has great looking water so make sure you get an ocean view. To us it makes all the difference. In the AM or evenings sitting on the balcony with our favorite drink. Go AI. Most resorts have a show during the evenings or light live music but the real party is at the clubs and that really does not start until 10.PM.) You will have a great time I'm sure.Here are more things you can do in & around Cancun on my VT pages

members.virtualtourist.com/m/16c43/ea4af/

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
440 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Mexico

Depending on when you are wanting to go - The Riu Cancun would be good for the young adults, and it's going under a full refurb, in April and reopens in August. I stayed there last year and it was in need of a lick of paint, on the plus side it was literally 5-8 minutes walk to the nightlife, and has a quite pool for you to relax whilst the others play games in the pool/beach etc. Or if you are wanting something a bit more upmarket, next door they have the 5* Riu Palace Las Americas. I generally booked www.holidayhypermarket.co.uk because their prices are always inline with Thomson direct or CHEAPER which is always a bonus. They have a voucher code at the moment SAVE25 to get an extra £25 off per booking. I'm off to Riu Palace Peninsula on Saturday so if you need any questions answering let me know.

I haven't stayed in any other chain hotels in Cancun so I can't comment but overall the Rius are really good value.

texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer to Mexico

You can't go wrong with a Palace Resort in Cancun!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer to Mexico

Just FYI - duplicate post here - OP should really remove one or the other.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k731816…

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer to Mexico

Personally, I wouldn't go to Cancun. The problem is, as soon as you leave the resort, to head to the airport to go home, you want to go back.

I'm your age, and my first trip in January 2005, wasn't all that great. Ho hum resort and all. Went back in January 2012, and fell in love. Been back a couple of times since. My wife and I absolutely love Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

My belief is, if you pick the wrong resort, you won't have nearly as much fun. Those mentioned, will be far better than the one we stayed at in Jan 2005.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer to Mexico

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas - Great location for the younger part of your group and some nice amenities for you.

The youngins are a 5 minute walk from the clubs and stuff and the place is just really nice....

8. Re: First Timer to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:17