We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Parnussas

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clayton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Great Parnussas

Does anyone know what the under tows and rip tides are like on the beach at Great Parnussas? Taking two kids who aren't familiar with swimming in the ocean would just like to know how worried I shoud be about the swimming there?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Parnussas

It depends on how strong the wind is. Typically a SSE trade wind is dominate during the majority of the yr. Statistics say 10mph avg.

To answer your question, If the wind is up, knee deep, waist deep max.is all they will be able to get in . Of Course, you will have to keep a close eye on them..

My kids have grown up playing in the ocean rt there. Just use common sense. On the real windy days, the waves are slobber knockers. The bigest of big, and the strongest of strong will be plowed into the sand like you are nothing. The rip is even worse than the wave action. So, If you think your a good swimmer, you still prob are not good enough. I comes down to fitness.

I almost drown there one yr and learned a valuable lesson. Cant tell you how many times I've been driven up onto the beach like a fool. I have scolded numerous kids for going out to deep and then went to their parents and given them a ear full as well. To many people die every yr in CUN! Most of it is due to not understanding the strength or power the ocean has.. Just don't go deeper than you can handle. The life guard there is one of the best of the best I've ever met. He will only let you go in and or swim in certain spots where the rip is not a strong. All that said lots of fun to us.

www.cancun-discounts.com/cancun-weather.htm

Edited: 27 March 2014, 18:39
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Parnussas

Forgot to mention, there are days that it's as tranquil as a swimming pool in your back yard. That's of course when the wind is slow or idle.

Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Parnussas

Be careful,like cancunone says,many people each year drown.I got the living **** scared out of me a couple years ago there.I thought I was on my way to Cuba.Once I finally got back to shore I was exhausted and my wife was up by the pool drinking away none the wiser. Definatly use the buddy system when playing in the waves.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Parnussas

My mistake was going out the the sand shelf that typically forms just beyond the water being over your head. it is easy to spot from the higher floors on the hotel or pool deck. I had done this for yrs and never had a prob getting back.

One visit the rip was very strong. As I was headed back in, I swam, swam and swam. Eventually, I ran outta gas and started to yell for help. Rt at that point while going under water to conserve energy, or rest for a second, I felt the sand.( I was too tired to tread water.) When I got the waters edge,, I laid face down at the waters edge for a few minutes. I needed another heart and 2 more lungs. I almost died for sure. I thought I was a good swimmer to. I was not in good enough shape cardiovascular wise.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 19:00
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Parnussas

Please take note of what has been posted. Make sure you and your kids listen to the life guards. If they tell you to stay in a certain area, there is a reason for it. Just a few hundred feet to either side of where he wants you to stay, can make a big difference.

We were recently in Cancun and were pleasantly surprised by the calmness of the water this time. But, during the course of our 12 night stay, we saw rescues almost every day. One group of six adults had to be rescued at the same time. I don't know how those 3 life guards did it. They are the best! And these people were not out far or deep.

Conception Bay...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Parnussas

It was pretty strong there last week. Both my kids are used to the ocean but after one day on the beach they were done. The force of the waves knocked my 4yr old down. Also something to consider is the amount of salt in the water. Not fun when it gets in the eyes. Personally I'd be very careful about that area of beach.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Parnussas

I only go out to my waist -- I wouldn't even call it swimming. And I only do that on a very calm day.

The ocean is wonderful to look at, it's fun to play in (with caution) but swimming -- that's what the pools are for. At the Great, the pools look right over the ocean. I'd let the kid's go into the ocean a bit, sure. Everyone has to have that first taste of salt water! : ) But for the majority of time - keep 'em in the pool.

The Great seems like it would be a really fun hotel for kids. I've stayed at the Golden and visited the Great. I wouldn't want to ever stay there -- except maybe several years from now, if and when I have Grandkids. (son is almost 20) I wish I'd known about the Great when he was younger -- we took him to other resorts when he was 7, and 11. They were good, but I think the Great looks like a lot more fun for kids.

8. Re: Great Parnussas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16