We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Chicago, IL
13 posts
Save Topic
IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Okay, so - thru my tears I was continuing to look at my birth certificate, & I noticed that at the bottom it does have printed "this is a legal record & will be permanently filed" & then there's a line that has "date rec'd by local registrar" & it does have a Registrar's signature"

I know it's still NOT a cerfified copy, but when I looked up for passport info. for Chicago, they have something about a birth certificate showing it's been registered within one year of birth.

Think that'll make any difference? You can tell how desperate I am, right?

Thanks for any advice,

Barb

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

why risk your vacation? Just call the county recorder's office of the county in which you were born and ask them if it is a certified copy or not If it's not since you're already on the phone with them, order it and have it sent to you.

My only experience with certified birthcertificates is while they might look different depending on the state and county, the do have a stamp on them that says certified copy.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

I am a bit puzzled by exactly what you have but I have seen similar from my home state (Tennessee) and believe what you have is official and acceptable. I do not know what airline you are using but is their anyway you can take it to a ticket counter to let them see it in person---a phone call will not really do.

Another person mentioned another possiblility. At airline locations where I have worked, their was always a notary availble who could, for a small fee. give you an affidavit that you can use one time only for enttry into Mexico. We used them frequently and they are legit--ask your airline if that is a possibility.

I really believe what you have will work--but you need to let the airline take a look at it. Remember, they are the ones who have the final say if you will board the plane . Advice from a travel agent or anyone else will not help.

Keep us informed--and the best of luck,

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Oh, and don't worry , you are not an idiot. We had many people who didn't bother to check and showed up with a hospital certificate. With the notaries help, we usually got them on the plane.

ohio
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

the main thing that i have been told that they look for is a raised seal. not a copy of a cert. with a raised seal but a palpable seal.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Robert's advice is solid. My mom is one of the few people I know without a birth certificate on file (she might have been born before paper??) Her health card is notarized and that was suffcient to prove she is herself. (though she does hae a passport now).

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Robert is definitely the expert in this department. I see at least 2 or 3 people that have to use the notary every single time I go to Mexico, so don't feel bad. The Charters such as Funjet and Worryfree have a Notary at the check in line.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

why risk any of this? go get a passport, you are going to need one in the future anyway, stop crying.....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Late for a passport now but you should get one if you have future travel plans--you only have until Jan. 1 to have it.

As Cozbobby says, if using a charter airline, they will probably have a notary available. We handled a charter for Cancun and their manager was a notary and also had a form for this available. (if she was not available, several airlines had notaries on the staff)

But do check with your airline--and then get there very early for checkin. The staff is much more inclined to be helpful then than when they are trying to make last minute checkins and get a flight out on time!

Chicago, IL
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Hi, Guys -

Thanks for all your great advice & encouragement.

Robert, that was an awesome idea! We are going to go to Midway tomorrow a.m. & try to get this settled.

I looked up info. on getting a passport & Chicago is a district office that even has a 24 hr. appointment hotline for people needing a passport and having to travel withing 2 weeks. I got excited thinking MAYBE I could get an appt. & get my passport tomorrow.

But, unfortunately, the first opening is August 14th (we leave Mon. the 7th) So, not deal.

I'll post again to let you know what happens at the airport. We are flying ATA, there's no charter or tour involved, as I made the arrangements myself.

And yes, if I'm lucky enough to make this trip, as soon as I return, I will be sure to get passports for all the family prior to the end of the year!

Thanks again,

Barb

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IDIOT'S continuing saga!

Barb, Thanks for the info about having to wait until Aug 14th for the appointment at the passport office.

This website says that Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Seattle and Washington DC have offices where you can get a passport in 7 hours.

http://www.house.gov/markgreen/passport.htm

It's good to know that you may have to wait over a week to get an appointment at one of these offices.