We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for arriving in cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help for arriving in cancun

Please can anyone Answer any of the following if you have travelled recently from the UK

What was the price of departure tax (in sterling, peso, US dollar?) I heard both 800 and then 900 peso per person!!

How many cigarettes can you take in to cancun (from the UK duty free or plane)? My sister n hubby were made to pay duty on ALL of hers but isn't sure how many over she was! (I heard 200per person then read 400 per

Person)

Cheapest BUT best way to go about going to coco bongo??

Info on trips to Isla Mujures (best way)?

Take currency in peso or US dollar or sterling?

ATMs and exchange bureau??

Anywhere to watch League one football play offs?

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for arriving in cancun

Im not from the UK and will only answer the money question... I think you pay bigger fees than we do to use overseas ATMS, but the best way to get money is always from a bank or ATM in the country that uses the currency.

Get pesos or you will overpay by 30% on every item if you pay in dollars. And, it doesn't make sense to convert your money from pounds to dollars to pesos.

If you have US dollars left over from a trip, bring them to use in an emergency (if you're short on peso change for example) - but there is no need for a visitor from the UK to get dollars.

You can check the rate in advance on Oanda.com and print out a small currency cheat sheet.

Dont leave home empty handed! I always bring about $300 in dollars just in case but have never had any problem finding working ATMs in Mexico.

SuitcaseReady.com

Edited: 11 April 2014, 22:09
England, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for arriving in cancun

Many thanks for your message. Very useful and definitely will take it on board!

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for arriving in cancun

I read a recent post that the number of cigarettes you can import changed from 400 to 200 per person. If you bring in more, you have to declare them. If you don't declare the excess, then duty can be charged on all that you have. At least that's what I got from the post.

Coco Bongo - your hotel will probably host a "group trip" to different clubs each night. look into that and see if you think it's worth it. That's how my kids always went to the clubs.

Search the forum for tips on Isla Mujeres....there will be plenty.

And yes - don't get dollars, get pesos

England, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for arriving in cancun

Thank you for you advise too :)

5. Re: Help for arriving in cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16