We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First time

For spring break 2015 we have pretty much decided on Riu Cancun (slight possibility of Riu Santa Fe in cabo). Is it best to book through the flight+hotel package option on the riu website or is there another way or website that most people do it?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time

I price check various ways of booking - directly with the hotel (flight + room) versus booking a flight directly with the airline and the accommodations directly through the hotel. And then I check other options such as real, live travel agents, online agencies (e.g. Expedia, Orbitz) and package tour companies (e.g. Apple).

At the end of the day, I usually go with whomever is the cheapest UNLESS the cheapest is Expedia and the difference is minimal. There's nothing wrong with Expedia per se and I've had many great vacations through them but I do know that their customer service is just awful, so if it's only a few dollars more to book with a tour company or direct with the resort/airline, I'll go that route instead. If the difference is significant, then I'll suck it up and roll the dice with Expedia.

Before you book, check into the price of booking your own ground transfers, both shared and private. What I like to call "full service" packages (the kind usually sold by tour companies) often include them but Expedia's "flight + hotel" does not. During the course of booking with any entity that doesn't automatically include them, ground transfers will often be suggested an add on, usually (but not always) at a vastly inflated price. Of course, if you don't know what it will cost you to book ground transfers yourself, you'll have no way of knowing if their price is good or bad.

If all of this sounds like a lot of work, it is ...... but when I'm booked, I know that I've got the best possible price available and that makes the effort worthwhile for me. YMMV and you may prefer to just call a real live travel agent and have them take care of all this for you.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time

There's far to many to mention but a good starting point is "Kayak"...

https://www.kayak.com/

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time

We use funjet or apple vacatons to book. Prefer to do a charter flight to and from no stops.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time

I am from Ohio, flying out of Cleveland and we always use a travel site--never the hotel website. I like Apple, Cheap Caribbean and Funjet because the transfers are always included, and reps there know a lot about the hotels and tours.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time

I live in Cincinnati as well . I always use vacation express because they use nonstop charter flights and usually have the best prices . We are headed back to Cancun in August with our three kids for our fifth visit . Vacation express is the first place I always look because of the nonstop flight, that's important to us .

6. Re: First time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:15