We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia bait and switch?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia bait and switch?

So frustrated with Expedia. First, let me state that I always have used on line bookings for our trips as I always seem to be able to beat the travel agents by a lot. However,I am at my wits end with Expedia... I'm trying to book at trip to Cancun for next March and at the final step it does not accept my credit card. I then called Expedia and they said it was something on the American Airlines side and they had escalated the problem (had American on the other line) and I should call back in an hour. I call back and now they say that flight isn't available from American (it's still available on the American site mind you...). They tried to get me to take a different flight (no solid answer on why there are offering flights that aren't available). I'm now waiting for over a 1/2 hour to talk to a supervisor. Now mind you there are a group of us booking and another family tried booking last night and their credit card kept getting denied and they ended up today with about $30,000 worth of charges and they had to spend all day fixing it. Yesterday, Expedia said it was AeroMexico's problem. I think it's Expedia's problem...

Last time I tried to book with them I got an error too on the final step and when I called them they said that flight was no longer available but offered me another more expensive package.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

I always book with Expedia but never online. I find the trip online and have the info right in front of me then call them and do it by telephone. Usually I get at least $100 off the online price. It is very frustrating to get the run around and feel like you are being taken advantage of. Hopefully you can work something out for your benefit.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

I've never had an issue booking with Expedia, Travelocity or Cheaptickets. What happens if you start over? Seems nothing was charged so nothing lost. Try Travelocity, should be pretty much the same price since they are sister companies. As for flights not available with Expedia but with airline site itself, I believe the sites are allotted a certain amount of seats. Others are reserved for other agencies and the airlines themselves. Hard to believe though they are sold out a year in advance.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

I tried a different flight out of a different city and it still didn't work. Just got off the phone with the Supervisor and she claims it's the airlines switching inventory. If it was one flight I would say that's possible but multiple airlines and multiple flights over different time periods doesn't make sense. There loss, group of 20 of us will need to book elsewhere. I actually tried my last booking on the phone, but to no avail...

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

Yea. I used to have good luck with Expedia but no longer. I would agree nothing loss but one of our group booked on the assumption the rest of us could and now we can't find a package to get there. Plus it's a pain to figure out what is real on your credit cm card or that you need to keep watching it for charges. It should be simple. If you don't have the inventory don't sell the flight/package.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

Hope you get it sorted out. Know its frustrating when you are trying to coordinate with a group. Hopefully you can get the same flight through another site so you are all together. And yeah the credit card thing is a pain. I've had sites time out and then not sure was it before my transaction completed or after. Since such a large group, why not take the price you found and see if a travel agent can pricematch?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

I worked with a travel agent last year to try to match. She couldn't get anywhere close but I could try it again I suppose!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

I'm another one who's never had a problem with Expedia but I do feel your pain. Expedia's customer service (or rather, lack thereof, is brutal).

I second the suggestion of doing this through a travel agent. And if the first one can't match Expedia's price, call another (rinse and repeat).

Good luck!

Edited: 29 April 2014, 03:34
Iowa
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

Yea, a lot of people don't seem to like Bookit, but I love their US based customer service (or they were, hope they didn't outsource). Expedia and orbitz call centers are often frustrating and hold times are long.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

It seems like you might get hosed with many people trying to book the same trip at different times.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,525 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expedia bait and switch?

As others have said, not unusual for a flight to still have seats available but only through the airline. As said, the airline releases limited numbers of seats at discounted prices to wholesalers such as Expedia. When I worked for the airlines, we would release seats to Expedia, for example, and then based on how well the flight is selling, we might go back and release more seats to Expedia. This can change hour by hour or minute by minute.