We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
930 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

I spoke to a tour operator this week and was told as of April they are no longer allowing people to climb the pyramid at Coba. Can someone who has been there recently confirm this for me? I'll be there in 3 days and really wanted the experience of climbing a pyramid. If Coba is no longer an option then I want to do some more research on Ek Balam for climbing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
930 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

Leaving tomorrow ... any one with any information?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

Go anyway and report back.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

As co-pilot said go, chances are better than 99% you will climb, reports of the closing to climbing has been ongoing for years and years. These forums would be riff with reports if in fact it was closed already.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,261 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

Is the tour operator back home (they are usually clueless and have no actual knowledge) or are they in the Maya area

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

Just returned from Cancun and drove down to Coba. Good news.....YES you can still climb the pyramid without any problem. Worth the drive.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,268 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

All I know who have been recently climbed the ruins at Coba, as always. As vancouver says, believe little a tour operator tells you, they are usually clueless and have no actual knowledge.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
930 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

Thanks for the info Arthur! I'm actually back from Cancun and we ended going to Ek Balam and climbing there instead. :)

Btw- I was raised in the OC very close to Anaheim! Goooooo Ducks! :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

As TDG stated-forum will be rilled with notices about pyramid restrictions. Future travelers: go anyway-the park is great. Can still enter many buildings, walk around at will.

9. Re: Climbing Pyramid in Coba ~ no longer an option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:16