We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burbank, California
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

I am going to cancun for my honeymoon for the first time on may 6th. Ive been planning for this trip for monthsss.. Im not only going to be sick for my wedding but my first real vacation. Was anyone else sick on their vacation? How did you cope? Were you sick the whole trip or midway got better??

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

We got sick a few days into our trip -- I swear, it was from the flight. We took cold pills and laid in the sun -- not much movement out of us, for a few days. We both woke up one morning with sore throats, stuffy sinuses, coughing, sneezing, the works. We didn't drink for two days. The waitress kept teasing us that we must have drank too much yesterday. When we finally started feeling better, my throat was still a little raw, so I started drinking the frozen drinks -- Mango Tangos, Miami Vice, etc. Felt so good on my throat, and then made me forget about feeling sick, too. But for a couple of days there, we didn't drink a thing.

We also bought cold meds in the gift shop, which as you can imagine, cost an arm and a leg. They didn't seem to do much, either. A fellow traveler found out we were sick one day, and gave us some cold meds he brought from home, so nice of him!

Out of 11 trips, that was really the only time we were sick/sick, as opposed to being hung over sick. But being hung over sick never stopped us from drinking again the next day, LOL!

Today is only the 1st, so I hope you are feeling much better by the time you get there. Let the sun bake it out of you.

Omaha
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

A few years ago I got a really bad cold a few days before our trip to Cancun. The pressure on my ears during the flights was so painful. By the time we landed in Cancun it sounded like I was in a tunnel. I could barely hear anyone. We went to a local grocery store to look for NyQuil because that is what I always want when I have a cold. All the packaging was, of course, in Spanish, and the pharmacist did not speak English. We looked for ingredients that we recognized on the packaging and did find guifenisen in something. It took about 2 days before my ears popped open. One of the days was our anniversary and we had a scheduled trip to swim with whale sharks, which was a lifelong dream of mine. I felt like crap, but went anyways. It was such an amazing day that I forgot I was sick! I was much better after that.

I would recommend taking cold/flu meds with you. I would also recommend taking a nasal spray to open up your nasal passages to help reduce the pain during the flights and the plugging up of the ears. Then when you get there, get into the sun and have fun. You will feel better in no time!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

Was sick on a trip to Hawaii once. We snorkeled a lot and nothing better to clear up your sinuses and a cold than some sea water up your nose over and over again.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

Had a really bad cold and cough one year and the lovely hotel rep brought me 2 types of cold medicine - one for day and one for night - and advised if I didn't mind losing a day to take the night one and sleep. As I felt so bad I did just that. Slept the whole day with Hubbie waking me for room service and more tablets. Got up the next morning feeling so much better and couple days later after taking both medicines it was fully gone.

I always buy some of the same medicine each year to bring home as it's so much better than the stuff we get here.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 11:04
Burbank, California
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

Im still sick and my wedding is in two days and cancun in four days... I feel miserable knowing im sick for two big events : ((... But you guys are giving me hope that there is a possibility i might feel better

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

First off congratulations on your wedding and I hope your illness resolves itself prior to the nuptials and the vacation. Now, the elephant in the room, do you know what your illness is? Have you thought about exposing whatever you may have to hundreds of people in an airport, on a flight, in a foreign country? For your own safety, heaven forbid what you have may be a serious condition, do you want to be in Mexico if something goes wrong? I know this probably isn't what you want to read but there's certain practicalities, personal responsibilities and common sense in all this before hopping on that plane.

As stated, hopefully you'll have a speedy recoverey and none of the above is an issue... but...

My apologies in advance if I'm raining on the parade... ;-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

Agree with the comments in the above post.

I am assuming that you have already sought help from your medical doctor. If not, I suggest you do so ASAP.

If you have seen your doctor and are following his/her advice and still not improving, I think it would be advisable to follow up with him/her to get more advice/ treatment.

Congratulations on all the good things coming up for you!

Hope you get well soon.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

I totally agree with the above posts. You should really be checked before you leave. I'm sure the stress of the wedding is not helping with your recovery. If it's a simple cold there's not much the doctor can do, but at least you'd be reassured. A few simple tests and/or some blood work will rule out anything more serious. You may need an antibiotic or prescription cold tablets. I'd rather see a doctor I know than one in another country.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

I'm not big on antibiotics, but we get a Z pac from our doctor just to have. Congrats, see your doctor, and feel better! Practice moderation on food and drink while there!

10. Re: Was anyone sick with a cold or flu during their trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:15