We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Sand Cancun

los angeles,ca
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dreams Sand Cancun

May 5, 2014

We are excited to announce that we have added to AMResorts' footprint in the popular Mexican destination of Cancun with the signing of Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa. This will be the 12th property for the award-winning Dreams Resorts & Spas brand, and marks another chapter in the rapid expansion of AMResorts' portfolio, which has grown by 20 percent in the past year alone.

The existing Grand Oasis Viva property will close for an extensive renovation and adaption to meet the Dreams Resorts & Spas Unlimited-Luxury® standards. AMResorts will assume operations when the property is officially rebranded on September 1, 2014.

Family-friendly Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa will have 441 spacious rooms and suites, all with ocean views, facing 650 feet of white sand beachfront in the southern end of Cancun's vibrant hotel zone.

"Dreams Sands Cancun demonstrates the brand's commitment to offering guests a unique, luxury vacation experience in highly desirable destinations," said Gonzalo del Peon, President of AMResorts. "Dreams Resorts & Spas continues to look for new opportunities to continue exceeding our guests' expectations."

Guests will enjoy a modern, chic ambiance and décor along with all the benefits of Dreams Resorts & Spas Unlimited-Luxury® experience, including: eight international restaurants and six bars and lounges serving gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits; an array of day and evening activities and adventures for every age and interest; 24-hour room and concierge services. The signature Explorer's Club for Kids will offer dedicated facilities and tailored programming, making it an ideal stay for those traveling with children.

Resort amenities will also include two pools, a variety of non-motorized water sports, a fitness center and a daily activities center. The Dreams Spa by Pevonia will offer a sublime atmosphere with a variety of indigenous and hydrotherapy treatments. Private meeting and banquet spaces will be able to accommodate guests for corporate meetings & events.

Dreams Sands Cancun is located within walking distance to the destination's top shopping, tours and excursions, award-winning golf courses and nightlife venues. Cancun was recently voted by travelers as the #9 Best Destination in the Caribbean and Mexico (TripAdvisor Traveler's Choice Awards).

Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Alvaro Lopez de Haro, Regional Director of Sales in the Mexico Caribbean region, at alopezdeharo@amresorts.com. Please help us share this information with your teams and we thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Gonzalo del Peón

AMResorts

President

Mentioned in this post
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Sands Cancun...
5,244 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,476 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

Exciting news!!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

Does this mean the resort will close for renovation on 9/1 or will reopen on 9/1?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

I don't look upon this as good news. I think there is a huge lack of affordable, adult only, fun resorts -- and I was hoping this was on it's way to becoming a decent one. Reviews had been good lately. Another family resort - yippee. Time to leave Cancun, and go to Isla Mejeres, I think --- seems to be where the older folks hang. I think they are trying to turn the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area into Disney Land. Kids are great, but the last time I went to a family resort (Iberostar Tucan) I think they outnumber the adults, and some of the guests who would be annoying without kids, were twice as bad and rude, with kids. Just not what I am looking for on vacation, at all.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

What does this mean for those of us who have already booked trips to Grand Oasis and chose it because it was adults only? When will it close? Will you refund the money for people who booked because it was adults only?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Oasis Cancun
Grand Oasis Cancun
11,107 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

AM Resorts sent out an updated e mail right after the one above that said:

"The existing Grand Oasis Viva property will undergo extensive renovation and adaption to meet the Dreams Resorts & Spas Unlimited-Luxury® standards. AMResorts will assume operations when the property is officially rebranded on September 1, 2014."

The removed the "The existing Grand Oasis Viva property will close for an extensive renovation" - note the "will close" part. So apparently they are not going to close the resort while they do these extensive renovations. It will become Dreams on Sept. 1st. so will be adults only until that date.

I can only assume anyone booked there after Sept. 1st will be allowed to stay if they choose to, or if they want to stay at an adults only resort, they may be offered options for new accommodations. What those options are, I wouldn't even take a guess at (ok, maybe Oasis Sens?) so you will have to contact your travel agent and/or the company you booked with to find out. If they don't want to take the new adults only offer (if there is one), they would (should) be allowed to cancel without penalty. That's how i think it will play out anyway.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 19:25
Yuma, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

Any information on your wedding packages for 2015?

London, United...
Level Contributor
542 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

Hi

Booked into here from the 13th September and trying to find out what WiFi is available (without much luck) anyone know ?

Thanks

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

Here is the official web page. I don't think the OP is employed by Amstar.

http://www.dreamsresorts.com/sands-cancun

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

I know that with the preferred status, Wi-Fi is free in room. How good it is I am not aware of.

London, United...
Level Contributor
542 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams Sand Cancun

Hi Tricia_S1

Thanks for that, I did contact them on twitter and they confirmed it is free for PC guests and I am now trying to find out what the cost is for non PC guests as it may be worth upgrading anyway.

I still think that any top rated hotel or cruise line that charge for WiFi are ripping you off.