We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

My GF and I are planning a trip to Cancun for our next anniversary. We both love to snorkel but neither of us are strong swimmers.

We went to Cozumel last fall and loved the shore snorkeling at Chankanaab!

We both have our own snorkeling gear, neither of us like the idea of renting a snorkel that's been used by 1000's of people. We also plan on bringing our own USCG-approved life vests.

I've been reading a lot about both Xel-ha and Xcaret and since are pretty much equal in price, I was wondering which one is better for:

1. Snorkeling

2. Food

3. Alcoholic drinks! ;)

We'll probably end up buying an all-inclusive tour from either park, since it seems safer to be in numbers...this is our first time in Cancun.

Last thing, do you think there's time to visit Tulum in the morning or do these parks require a full day?

Any other ideas or tips are always welcome! Muchos "thank you's" =)

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Yal-Ku lagoon in North Akumal. No wait, you wanted an AI as well. Great snorkeling. Or Puerto Morales for snorkeling. Not one for AI's here, so.....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Forgive my noobness, but what's an "Al"?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

All inclusive.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Ohhh! LOL Thank you! :)

I just looked up Yal-Ku lagoon in North Akumal and the underwater wildlife looks diverse and plentiful! However, the water looks a bit murky? How's the visibility compared to snorkeling at either of the "western style" eco parks?

I actually don't mind skipping out on the AI package, which will cost $270 for the both of us, if there are better shore snorkeling spots we can check out!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Xel Ha is almost all water events. Xcaret is Xel Ha plus so much more, a full day including underground river, aviary, small zoo, aquarium, butterfly area, logoon & ocean area, small shows all day & big night show. Xel Ha is more like a 1/2 day. that is why it is coupled in a tour with Tulum. If it's snorkeling only take the ADO bus from Cancun, 15 minute ride, cheap, to Puorto Morales. They have a collective that takes you a hundred yards from the shore & swims with you as a guide.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Thanks SavannahBruce! We're mostly interested in snorkeling and water activities so Xel-Ha sounds like it will be a great time! Plus, my GF is dead set on visiting Tulum, so this will probably work out better since we won't have a full day to enjoy everything that XCaret has to offer.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

Snorkeling at Xel-Ha is in a lagoon. We love it there but water will also be a bit murky because its sea water mixed with fresh water. Go near the area where they do the sting ray experience and snorkel outside the roped area and you will see rays. Last year also saw the largest sea turtle I've ever come across in the lagoon. Food and liquor included.

8. Re: Which is better for shore snorkeling, Xel-Ha or Xcaret?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:17