We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with dolphins

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with dolphins

Could somebody advise the best place to swim with Dolphins in Cancun please?

Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,745 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with dolphins

My daughter was interested in doing this, so I researched it a bit. I was very surprised at how many people have been injured during dolphin swims or got sick (including some pretty nasty skin ailments) from swimming in contaminated water. I also found out how these dolphins are captured and trained - and it's not pretty (huge understatement). So, before deciding whether or not you want to participate in this at all, I would ( very politely, of course) urge you to do a bit of research so at least your decision is an informed one.

Here are some links to get you started:

- wspa-usa.org/wspaswork/oceans/wrongwithswimw…

- upmagazine.com/blog/dont-swim-captive-dolphi…

- https:/…dontswimwithdolphinsplayadelcarmen

And, although it's not without its own controversy, here's a possible alternative to swimming with captive dolphins - pescamaya.com/sian-Kaan-ecotour-wild-dolphin…

Hope this helps and happy travels!

Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Here is the best one in my book:

One hour program is plenty, great passerelle where you can take the best pictures and videos. Ticket gives you free admission to the Aquarium. Located at the back of La Isla shopping mall in the middle of the hole zone.

Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Great place for dolphins, in back of a shopping mall in the middle of a hotel zone????

Please read the links as Llisa suggested before looking elsewhere.

Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with dolphins

If you are planning on doing Xel Ha or Xcaret anyway, then I would do them there. They are both great eco parks and worth a full day and you could do the dolphin excursion while there as well.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Dolphins aren't meant to be kept in captivity any more than any other sea species.

IMO, the ones at the Aquarium at La Isla and any others kept in a small enclosed pool area are an accident waiting to happen as they ultimately will rebel against their captures just as so many of Sea World's whales have done.

Take a deep sea boat ride and see them frolic in their natural environment rather than satisfying one's personal 'bucket list' of supposedly swimming with these captive, intelligent, graceful and meant to be FREE animals.

6. Re: Swimming with dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17