We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nervous

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nervous

I am nervous about going to Cancun. I haven't been out of the country in a few years. Are my fears unfounded? What happens if there is a medical emergency?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nervous

Not sure what your nervous about? Lack of medical facilities, doctors? Check with your medical provider for coverage and conditions when out of the country or get travelers insurance. If it safety, I've never felt unsafe there. There is much more crime here where I live and I'm sure in Chicago.

Toronto
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nervous

You can be safe anywhere in the world as long as you're smart and don't flaunt your wealth. When I went to Mexico a few years ago, people just assumed I was rich (even though I had nothing on me to prove I was rich) but they figured that if you can travel there for a vacation, you're rich. I'm from Toronto and I used to think it was safe but there's been shootings lately everywhere. Coming from Chicago, I'm sure you're used to the big city and the crimes that may be associated with a big city. I've traveled on my own to Costa Rica and I will be going to Mexico by myself in August.

Considering that many people go to places like Mexico "medical tourism" I'm sure that you'll probably get better service and care than any American place. If your medical insurance does not cover out of country care, perhaps you should buy medical insurance?

My colleague bought me a travel alarm/flashlight. You put insert the device in the door crack and if someone opens the door it causes the device to sound very loudly (like a car alarm). I was also able to use it as a flashlight for dark places. It was really unnecessary, but I felt safe and if I ever had to walk alone at night, I held the device in my hand so if anyone approached me I could set it off.

If you don't look for trouble (such as drugs) then you should have no problem.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nervous

Seriously, you've been asking all kinds of questions on this Forum for how long now, about just about everything?

Every one one of your questions + have been answered and NOW you're NERVOUS?

Maybe you should rethink or CANCEL your trip here and go some other place that doesn't make you so nervous...

Or do you just like the attention?

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nervous

I guess we soon get a tripreport from Cougar91 how frightning Cancun was.Especially the busride where the driver fought he was Schummacher, zick zacking the cars along the road.How the sea was sometimes rough and how spicy the food sometimes is.Finally how expensive everything are in the hotelzone and how creepy Downtown can be in search for a good cheap restaurant

chicago
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: nervous

C'mon give me a break! I've never been to Cancun. I don't post anything on TA unless I am going somewhere on vacation so don't read my posts if you don't like them. I currently am dealing with a medical issue so that's why I am nervous......don't be so easy to judge if you don't know the whole matter!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,550 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nervous

cougars91: My initial reaction to this post was going to be similar to #3 - but to be fair, if you have a medical need, you really need to be consulting a doctor and your insurance company - and not a public forum board made up of travelers. I mean, we do not know what this medical need is, nor do I think this is the proper place to share it. So, I would say seek a professional opinion before deciding to move on and go...

chicago
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: nervous

fair enough thanks

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nervous

Hospiten Cancun has great reviews if you do need health care while on your trip. Be warned that you will most likely be required to pay up front with cash or a credit card, so make sure you take a credit card with a high limit. Most resorts have a doctor onsite or on call for a reasonable charge. bk gives you great advice to check with your doctor and insurance before traveling to manage your medical condition.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nervous

You can buy travel medical insurance that will cover you to be airlifted back the USA if/when things go wrong. It's not terribly expensive and might give you some peace of mind.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,721 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nervous

We always get travel medical insurance when traveling outside the country - and it includes repatriation to the US.

You can research policies on www.insuremytrip.com - be sure to look for policies that have coverage for pre-existing conditions.