We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun or Riviera Maya

Detroit
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun or Riviera Maya

Booking a surprise get away for me and my wife. We have never been to Mexico and I'd like some advise. We are early 40s, looking for all inclusive and would prefer adults only.

What is your opinion as to a better location, the main hotel area nearest the airport or Riviera Maya.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

Have you thought about anything you want to do off the resort? If you want to go to Isla Mujeres or Cozumel you might do better closer to Cancun. We went with the Riviera Maya because we want to see Tulum and Akumel and Xcaret and didn't want an hour drive every time we left the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,201 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Detroit
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

Good advice, I have not done too much looking and the extra attractions. Am I correct in that I saw you can take a ferry to Cozumel and that the Riviera is the closest location?

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

I'm not sure where the Cozumel ferry leaves from. The ferry to Isla is closer to cancun. The eco parks like Xcaret and Xel-ha are closer to riviera maya

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,201 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

The ferry to Cozumel leaves from Playa del Carmen. I prefer Riviera Maya myself.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

Depending on your budget and location, Sun Palace located in Cancun is an adults only hotel. Sun Palace is not near the hotel zone. The ferry to Cozumel leaves from Playa. We are staying at Beach Palace and we will be going to Cozumel for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Palace
Sun Palace
6,572 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Troy, NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

I have to preface my advice by saying I've never stayed in the Hotel "Zone" or anywhere in Cancun itself. With that said, I vote for the Riviera Maya; where I have stayed on our last three trips. Frankly, given it's your first trip and you don't seem to have a really specific agenda, either area could be great. I think the biggest determining factor for your enjoyment would be the property you decide to stay at. Both the hotel zone and the RM have good and not so good properties. In the Cancun hotel zone, my impression is that the properties are more like hotels (on the ocean) near a major metropolitan area. In the RM, the properties tend to be more like "resorts" that are larger in scale and more secluded and away from the towns and cities. We prefer the later for our vacations. We are also in our 40s and stay at adults only resorts. I feel you are less likely to get the 20-something age party crowd in the RM vs the hotel zone in Cancun, though that isn't a guarantee. If you are looking for more a lively party atmosphere, the Cancun area is probably a better option. Many of the RM resorts can be lacking in that department.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 18:00
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New Hampton
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

I've been to Riviera Maya(puerto adventuras) area twice, The Catalonia Resort! and was just in Cancun in early Feb, this yr! We stayed @ the Golden Parnassus wich is only about a 15 min ride from airport. If you go to RM its about an hr or 45 min ride there depending how your transfer is! I have to say, I did like the Cancun area better, the beaches were much nicer and the Golden is an adult only, all inclusive, just a layed back kind of resort. Where ever you go its always nice to just get away and put your toes in the sand and have a drink in your hand. ;) have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Catalonia Playa Maroma
Catalonia Playa Maroma
8,435 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

This site may be a bit help to you . . . they sell these guidebook maps, but the couple that does them have been all over this region for years & years - there is a help on this site to help you choose the location that might suit you the best.

http://www.cancunmap.com/

Good luck! :)

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

I agree with everything Gerry K said. And although I pick Riviera Maya, specifically Playacar, I think the water is a little more blue in the Cancun area, and a lot of hotels are high-rises and have many ocean-view rooms. However, I like the more laid-back tropical vibe that is found in Riviera Maya.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
274 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Detroit
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun or Riviera Maya

Outstanding feedback all. decisions decisions.