We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun vs Riviera Maya

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Cancun vs Riviera Maya

Hello, I'm planning to go to either Cancun or riviera maya for 10 day beach all inclusive vacation in the second week of July. I'm in my middle 50' and travel with my husband of the same age. This is our first trip to Mexico.

We are looking for a resort with sandy, not rocky beach, with calm waters and shade (palapas) on the beach.

I heard some resorts on Riviera Maya are extremely huge requiring a lot of walking. I would not consider those as I have some feet issues. Can anyone recommend a reasonable place? What location is preferable: Cancun or Riviera Maya? If I were choosing between the Riu chains or Iberostars which one will you advise?

In the past I was in Iberostar in La Romana DR. I liked food and beach but the rooms had terrible MUSTY smell and this is why I never came back there.

I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks a lot .Emmy

Saint Louis Missouri
Level Contributor
268 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

Hi there and welcome....I have been to Cancun and Riviera Maya many times....the perfect resorts with everything you said....not to big...calm water....palapas on the beach would be Secrets Maroma Beach....Secrets Silversands.... or Dreams Tulum.....we went to Secrets Maroma Beach in 2010 and loved it....adults only....had a great time...I have been to both a Iberostar in Punta Cana and Riu in Playa del Carmen. ...we personally didn't care for eaither. ...but if I had to choose between one or the other it would hands down be Iberostar.......in our opinion Iberostar and Riu seems to cater more to vacationers from countries other than the United States as far as food and drink go....thats not a bad thing...but just something to keep in mind.....and one more thing to consider when booking a all inclusive. ...you get what you pay for....so choose the best resort you can afford.....I hope I was able to help! 8)

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

Hi, Max

Thank you so much. I heard Secrets Maroma is very expensive so is Iberostar Grand hotel paraiso . Have you been there? Your opinion would help as you are an expert in Riviera Maya. Thanks a lot

Emmy

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

<I heard Secrets Maroma is very expensive so is Iberostar Grand hotel paraiso > that is correct.

If you want a smaller adults only that prices well check out Secrets Capri. Good value and a nice resort overall.

Also Dreams Riviera Cancun fits your list as well as NOW Sapphire.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
213 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

Since you are not bringing any kids, I would go adult only or a more adult oriented hotel.... I hear Iberostar has lots of kids with the exception of the Grand... What about The Royal Playa Del Carmen or Excellence Playa Mujeres ? These are a little less expensive then Secrets Maroma .

Also Beach Palace or Sun Palace may work for you although there are some waves in the Cancun Beaches but not too bad. I'm from California and to me the Cancun beach is calm enough to me well compared to Southern California at least. You can find a Palace member and use one of their member weeks and save a TON of money ... I am going to Hard Rock Cancun just because I am looking for livelier hotel and am traveling with my 13 year old son ... I found a Palace member and saved about $1,500 plus you get special privileges by going as a guest of a time share owner...

Have fun... Will be in Cancun end of July and can't wait !

Edited: 16 May 2014, 15:43
New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

Thank you so much. Are you familiar with Riu Palace Peninsula in Cancun? I heard it is quite new but I could not figure out if they have palapas on the beach. Can anyone help? Thanks

Saint Louis Missouri
Level Contributor
268 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

Hi! Yea Secrets Maroma Beach has really gone up in the last couple of years....you are correct. ...Riu doesn't have any palapas. ..but Secrets Capri is more affordable...and they have palapas. ..and calm water...and I think they are adult only...we don't have kids..so we prefer to stay at adult only places.....I will be happy to answer any more questions the best that I can....if I think of amy more places that will suit you guys I will let you know. 8)

7. Re: Cancun vs Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16