We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
the heartland
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

We will be returning home on a midweek American Airlines flight that departs at 11 am. We will have only carry on luggage and should be eligible to use priority check in. Will a hotel pickup (Paradisus) at 8:30 am allow adequate time to clear security?

okla
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

my understanding is 2 hours regardless of checked luggage vs carry on. I remember going thru about 2-3 security lines. how far is the hotel from airport?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

if you're first class, you'll be checked in within minutes....you'll have plenty of time.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

Totally depends on the airline! If I'm not flying first or have priority I would never fly with United. Everyone and their cousin flys with them. Last few times I was there, Frontier had 3 people in line and United was at least an 1 1/2 hours for ticketing. Going thru security has always been quick but it's the ticket counter that I've seen delays.

the heartland
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

If you are on American Airlines and do not check luggage are you able to avoid the ticket counter and use automated kiosks?

Woodruff, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

Yes we just flew American Airlines a couple weeks ago and they would not check you in at the counter without a ticket through the Kiosk. We arrived 3 hours early (afternoon flight), but it still took us awhile to get through the line which was over 100 people. My suggestion to you would be closer to 3 hours just to be on the safe side. The security lines were fairly quick!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

American Airlines really won't accept any ticket except for the one thru their kiosks??

What if we web check in online 24 hrs before? That ticket doesn't count?? I'm not checking in luggage, only have carryon.

I'm traveling from Cancun to NYC in November and want to get my facts straight.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 13:16
Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

If you are at the airport 2 hours before your flight you will be fine. We arrived 2 hours before in April, flying Delta and the line was as long as I have ever seen it. It was backed up to the Kiosk stations. It took about 40 minutes. The airlines know how many flights they have and the people they will need to process, so they staff accordingly to get everyone processed through on time. We were through the X-ray lines and at our departure gate in 15 minutes (total time less than an hour). Ask your resort staff or the taxi service at the resort how long it will take to get to the airport based on the time you are leaving. We always book a late return flight (around 2:00pm) and the traffic to the airport isn't that bad. Never departed early, but based on the number of outbound flights they seem to have around 7:30am I would think traffic would be bumper to bumper.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,830 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

What if your driver shows up a few minutes late? What if there's any sort of traffic tie-up en route? What ifthere are excessive line ups at Security?

When it's time to come home from Mexico, I'm as reluctant to leave as the next person and I'm no fan of hanging around airports either. My view, though, is that the stress and potential expense of a missed or nearly missed flight simply isn't worth a few extra minutes at the resort.

I let my transfer company tell me an appropriate pick-up time, based upon their superior knowledge of road and airport traffic patters. To the best of my recollection, we're usually there about 2.5 hours prior to departure. Sometimes we're breezed through both check-in and Security and been through to the departure lounge very quickly. On other occasions, there have been long lines at both.

I would think that, with priority check in, two hours should be enough but only you can decide if cutting it that close is worth the risk (albeit a slim one).

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

I flied back with AA last sunday, 12:50pm flight. Line was very short. United lines were horrible. 2 hours will be enough for AA mid week.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at Cancun airport 2 hours prior to departing flight

<The airlines know how many flights they have and the people they will need to process, so they staff accordingly to get everyone processed through on time.>

I have to disagree with this quote, as airlines DO NOT change their daily staffing based upon their PBTs (Passenger Board Totals). They may adjust it seasonally, but definetely not based upon daily PBTs.

I agree with Llisa; I would allow a full 2.5 hours AT THE AIRPORT. Also make sure to re-confirm your pickup with the transfer company (e-mail preferred) the day before.

¡Se diviertán!