We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

Last time I stayed at a non AI in cancun was in '05 and I can't totally remember whether hotel staff was strict about bringing in your own drinks (beer) etc.. For some reason I remember having to "hide" our beers in a cooler on the beach. It was the inter continental presidente. Staying at the Fiesta Coral in July. Has anyone been there recently?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

I've never stayed there but we have stayed at the Marriotts and they are very helpful. They'll help you unload your groceries and cooler onto their dollies and either take them to your room for you or allow you to use the dolly and just return it to the lobby. The only issue is glass containers at the pool, like at all resorts. I'd just email and ask. Being sneaky doesn't usually work.

Cheryl

New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

Beaches are public property in Mexico so I'm sure the hotel really won't have a stance on it! The locals do it all the time.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

Back when we used to stay ep,

We would make our drinks in the room and carry thru the hotel in a plastic containers . Something Equal toa water bottle at the gym w a sip straw. We would take a small ice chest on the beach w our beer or vodka and mix. We never advertised it at the din.er table to avoid trouble.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

When we stay at Villa Magna will bring a small cooler with ice. We then put Absolut in a plastic water bottle and also bring a bottle of 7-up or gingerale. We then put ice in our plastic cups, add the vodka and 7-up and voila.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

We had a problem bringing a 12 pack into the Flamingo several years ago. There was a man at the front door that stopped us and he made us leave the building. We had to go sit by the lagoon across the street and drink some of it, and we gave the rest to some restaurant workers when they were leaving work. I guess they want you to spend all your money at their restaurants/bars.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

I remember something similar happening when I stayed at the Presidente in '05. Security people at the front checking bags.... I'm not planning on grocery shopping and all that but just bringing drinks in. I guess Mexico is different cuz I never had issues like this in Maui.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

I did this when I was younger, who didn't, and never had a problem. I never had a bag checked in Cancun. Go for it but don't be obvious!!

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

I did it at the FACB las feb., no problem. Just don't be so obvious.....

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

Cool. Thx peeps.

10. Re: How sneaky do I have to be? Staying at a NON-AI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16