We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

I was wondering if you guys all tip at palace resorts all inclusive?

I figured yes a $1 here or there and maybe a couple for dinners or room cleaning?

I also heard that the tips are "inlcuded" in our stay. Does that mean they charge us a percentage at the end of the trip too?

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
133 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,050 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,378 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

There is no tip charge when you stay at a Palace resort. The only extra is when you use your credits and there is a 16% tax.

We tip when we stay at a Palace resort, but It is up to you. I usually bring pesos. 30 pesos for room service. 20 pesos per day for room cleaning. 20 pesos at breakfast buffet, lunch at the bar for a drink or 2. Supper, depends on the meal. Less for buffet and more for dinner. I also tip on the spa treatments on top of the tax. I have heard that some tip the person that refills your in room fridge. We also tip bell man and for included airport to hotel transportation. It is up to you if you want to & how much. I know that some do not tip at all. Service is good no matter what.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

Yes, Tip. That is the only way these workers make ANY money. Their daily wage is less than $10. So a waiter brings you everything you ask for all day long?? Estimate what that bill would be if not AI and tip accordingly. We always tip between 15 and 20% for drinks and meals, we tip the maid and the bellman.

painesville ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

you don't have to tip but I think you should. these people work so hard to make your trip special that not tipping them seems so wrong...we tip $1-$2 every time they bring us a drink out by the pool or on the beach. at least a couple of dollars for the waiter after every meal. a couple of dollars for bell boy for helping with luggage. $5 is left on end of bed every day for the maid when we leave the room in the morning for our day. some times we tip more if a waiter/waitress goes above and beyond to be extra nice and helpful. probably tip a total of $150/$200 for the week. figure if I can afford a few thousand for a trip like this, I can afford a couple hundred for the people who really make our trip special...

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

I agree 100% with cutter6.

We always tip the service people. Especially the servers by the pool and the beach. They always have a smile, and they walk miles per day to spoil you on your vacation.

Since I've been on this site, I've learned to tip other workers I hadn't thought of before as well.

We have always gotten excellent service wherever we've stayed, and if I can afford the trip, I can afford to make the lives of the locals a little better. Very nice people everywhere we've been.

Love Cancun and PDC.

Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

Yeah y'all are right. I am tipping about $1 per drink at bars and outside on beach and $2-3 per meal breakfast or lunch and $5 for dinner at the restaurants.

I talked to the waiter at dinner about the rain. He said he walks and takes bus so the rain he gets his shoes and pants wet in mornings on way to work. Sucks! And they do smile whether they are being tipped or not it's really good service

New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

Titan I agree with you...we tip along the same lines as you do.....i bring a big stack of dollar bills each visit....it was funny we were at Sun Palace the 17th to the 24th, had dinner at the Italian restaurant one night and service was great so I left $5 for the waiter....my wife told me the guy sitting next to me looked at me like I was nuts. I have to say I think service at Palace is much better than most of the service I get back home so I gladly reward the workers.

Charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
262 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

We tip about $150 to $200 for a weeks stay. Those people work so hard and rely on those tips. Plus you will get waited on much quicker when you tip.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,776 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

As mentioned, tipping is optional at an all inclusive. At some resorts (although I have not come across one in MX), tipping is not allowed. This is what I do:

Bartenders or beach/pool servers: 20 pesos or $1 (depending on what I have) every few rounds of drinks. In a typical afternoon at the bar, I'd probably do 100 pesos or about $10.

Maid: 50 pesos or $5 per day

Casual a la carte: 50 pesos

Nice a la carte: 100 Pesos

Bellhops: $1 per bag

Private transfer drivers: $10 or $1 per bag whichever is greater

Mini bar stocker guy: same as housekeeper IF they do special requests.

Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

I personally believe I specifically choose an all inclusive resort so I do not need money for anything on the resort. If on the last day some individuals stood out I would give them a tip. I have no moral problems with accepting the package I am paying for. If after my trip I feel like I was treated unequal because I did not tip it is a lesson learned and I will not go to an all inclusive again. But for me not having to worry about paying for anything is a huge reason for me staying at an all inclusive.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at all inclusives? Palace resorts

My thoughts on all inclusive is that it is all inclusive of food and drink. And despite brochures stating tips are included I would still tip for good service in appreciation. Previous posts on this topic have stated that at AI a portion of your fees does go into the pool and is distributed to staff, however as I do anywhere else, I will tip staff for services provided. There have been times when we have sat at the buffet and were never offered coffee or beverage and on those occasions I do not tip. This tends to happen primarily at breakfast since we are in and out rather quickly. We tip the bartender a dollar or two every couple rounds and if we are well taken care of at the end of the week we usually tip a $20 when we depart. $150 to $200 usually sums it up for our typical 9 day stay. We feel blessed to be able to go on vacation every year and appreciate those at the resort for making our stay amazing.