We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Topic
Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

I would like recommendations on Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen. We have only been to Mexico (Cancun) several years ago just my husband and I. This trip we would be bringing our 15 year old son. Any thoughts on which area would be best and resort recommendations?

I had read that Moon Place was a big resort with lots to do but that it can get crowded. I just want a nice resort with good pools, great stretch of beach, all inclusive. Any resort recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,380 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

I like Cancun but prefer the Riviera Maya area as its less crowded. Playa will have more in their area to do but there are also good resorts in Puerto Morelos which are family friendly. From Playa & PM its closer to get to the echo parks like Xelha and Xcaret or a day trip to Cozumel which leaves from Playa Del Carmen. The ruins are closer too, we did Tulum combined with Xelha and it was perfect.

Moon Palace is on the south end of Cancun kind of 1/2 way in between there and Playa. It would work well if you wanted to do things in both places. I have not stayed there but yes it is a large resort.

You can get bus trips from Playa up to Cancun if you wanted to do a day trip. Also time of year that you are going can make a difference on how crowded places will be.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

Cancun, more hotels, more ocean view rooms, bluer water, wider beaches, more nightclubs. Easy to get to most ruins & tours. An example would be few people go from the Mayan Riviera to Cancun or Isla Mujeres or Holbox but people in Cancun have easy access to Isla & Holbox and to the entire Mayan Riviera.

To me, Moon Palace is to secluded for us. I want to interact with people in the area.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

Thanks for your responses.... Would you have any resort recommendatios in Cancun? Good Location (I guess scratch Moon Palace as don't want it to be secluded). Nice upscale report, good pools, all inclusive. Thanks!

Conception Bay...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

I prefer PDC as I felt like I could escape the tourist traps and just wander around town. I found Cancun too brash and in your face. I'd go back to PDC tomorrow, but I probably won't bother with Cancun again. Rent a car and you can go anywhere from PDC.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

Waaay prefer Playa and you are much more central to everything than in Cancun. That being said, we just got back from Cancun on Monday and really enjoyed it, but we were just looking to relax and veg, so it provided that. We've already done all the sites and attractions areound the Mayan.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

Beach Palace

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

Royal Resorts has 4 resorts in Cancun, and one near PDC called the Royal Haciendas. If you like to spred out, all RR's have 2BR/2BA villas. The RH also has a hot tub on the balcony. I personally prefer Cancun, as it gives me more to do. Depends on what you are looking for. Sometimes we do both: one week at the RH to chill, one week or more at the Cancun RR's. JMHO. THe RR's just went AI, although I do not prefer AI.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 23:21
8. Re: Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:17