We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency advise pls

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
currency advise pls

Me and my Partner are travelling from UK to Cancun Sept and I understand its better to use Pesos currency.

The issue I have is that we first travel to San Diego for 4 nights and then onto LA for 3 nights and then onto Cancun for 9 nights.

Whilst in US we are using a pre loaded dollar currency card so will have plenty of dollars.

So my question is would it be better to exchange dollar to pesos before we leave LA.

Or would you advise we buy pesos in UK before we travel.

Also as we have never been on all inclusive before we have no idea how many pesos we would need for 9 nights in Cancun.

Any advise here would be appreciated

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency advise pls

If you work out how much money you need in total you could use your dollar currency card to withdraw pesos in Mexico (as long as there is enough money left!). I would take another card as back up just in case you run out.

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency advise pls

Thanks for your reply on this.

yes will be taking credit card as back up but should have enough in dollar.

Do most hotels have ATM on site.

We are actually staying at Dreams Riviera near Puerto Morelos

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency advise pls

Many hotels have ATMs on site but otherwise they are virtually everywhere. DO NOT use any ATM that dispenses dollars! (If you get 100 USD out of the machine you may find up to 130 USD taken from your account!)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency advise pls

Hi Panicbuy,

Most hotels will exchange UK pounds to pesos if you feel this may be an option.

We had the same problem as we went to Cancun for 1 week then on to vegas for a week.

We ended up taking peso for the week in Vegas, bought in the uk, and a travel card loaded with dollars for vegas.

The only problem you might have is using the travel card in mexico, like SteveMex said if you lift dollars in mexico there will be a charge but equally if you try to lift pesos there will be a conversion and a transaction cost to do so.

You're best bet might be to either take pesos with you and put them straight into your hotel safe in USA or take english money with you to exchange when you get to mexico.

If you are all inclusive you can get by on very little money since all your food and drinks will be paid for.

The only time you will spend money is when you are outside of your resort i.e. excursions, nights out to pub/club or out for a meal.

Have a look around at excursions etc that you would like to do in cancun and then try to make an educated guess at how much money to take.

Worst comes to worst you said you were taking a credit card so you always have a fall back incase you don't have enough money.

Hope this helps

Mark

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency advise pls

Thanks for your reply on this post very helpful

6. Re: currency advise pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17