We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

TN
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Topic
Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

With everything going on, any chance the prices will go down soon to fly? Its a little expensive right now compared to what I paid a few months ago. I flew from TN to Cancun for $376 total which was ok, but right now its over $500 for a decent flight. I like Frontier Airlines because it flies non-stop. :)

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
134 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,054 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,380 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Illinois
Level Contributor
690 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

Scott-

Keep checking Frontier-we too love them. Love the free direct tv! We got our flights out of Indy several months ago for $311, however our friends are still waiting to purchase theirs-they had been ~$450, but 2 days ago they wre $380, however yesterday went up to $480. I guess she should have done it when I told her:) Just check their website everyday.

Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

Try flying out of Des Moines, IA. You only have a few airlines to choose from. I bit the bullett last week on NW Airlines for the family trip next April at $455 each. Thought that was a great deal out of Des Moines. It is a crap shoot, you never know what to do. Tickets could drop to $300 or jump to $700 around here. Good Luck.

TN
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

True, I could have sworn when I looked at prices about 2 weeks ago it was around $355 and the next day I lookd again and it was about $100 higher or so. I'll just have to check daily and grab a good price when it is posted.

State of Disarray
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

Usually go down, on average, then bump up for travel in December & Januare.

Gotta figure you will see some yo-yo in prices due to the oil prices.

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

Hi Roadkingjack! Fellow Iowan! What airline do you fly our of Des Moines? Non-Stop?

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

hey Scott. They are going up n down like crazy right now. A few hundred dollars difference from one day to the next. My recommendations are to keep watching them, try faremaxdotcom and keep in the back of your mind tuesday is usually the day to buy.

TN
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

BSQ, thanks for that info. I bookmarked that website. I can't wait to get back to Cancun!

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

4 penguins -

I just booked the other day out of DM as a package which was better yet, but the flight alone on Expedia was only $328pp(1st week of Nov) - pretty cheap for DM. You can't fly straight to Cancun from DM except 2 times a year or so through a Funjet charter(and it's always pretty pricey). I like the DM-Memphis-Cancun route on NWA - seems about the fastest way to get there.

If you're flexible and want to find the cheapest flights orbitz and travelocity have tools where you can pick a period and see the cheapest flights available.

Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

4 Penguins

We booked with Northwest Airlines for trip in April 2007. Not a direct flight, no such thing from DSM. Funny, we fly from DSM to Minneapolis, then to Cancun. Going home stop in Memphis, TN. Only direct flight I have ever been on to Cancun was a ATA charter flight. Oh, yes I forgot to mention it was a charter flight out of Minneapolis, after a 3-1/2 car drive at 2am in the morning. Geez the stuff some people do to go and vacation and relax, amazing....

minnesota
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Will airfare prices decrease this fall?

On a similar topic we had booked next March (family of 4) back in the middle part of July and since then the package has gone up $600. At $150 pp it's not that much but have a feeling it may continue to go up. Bottom line is were going back for are second year in a row and can't wait till the time comes!