We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeromexico or volaris

1 post
Save Topic
Aeromexico or volaris

I'm trying to book a flight to cancun in August. It seems like my cheapest and shortest flight options are from Aeromexico and volaris. Which airline would you recommend? Both have bad reviews so I'm very apprehensive.

Also, if the layover time is about 50 mins for Aeromexico from Mexico City to lax, would I have time to make it to the connecting plane? Would there be any issue here since I've heard this airlines sells your seats if you're not there three hours before (happened to my coworker).

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeromexico or volaris

You can find bad reviews about most anything. I worked for a major US airline and would pick either of your choices over a US carrier. Both have modern fleets good cabin service, food service and free bar service. I might pick Volaris if it gives you longer connecting time.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aeromexico or volaris

Most complaints about those airlines are probably about customer service which is bad in general in Mexico and tends to only be an issue if things go wrong. Most of the time things go right and so it's not an issue! If you fly Aeromexico then, on your return journey, your bags would be checked all the way through so at Mexico City you just get off one plane and walk to the next one. This MAY be the case with Volaris but I recommend you double-check since if you have to check-in again at MEX then your will need at least 3 hours. (It is this latter scenario which may cause you to lose your seat if you're late.)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aeromexico or volaris

Volaris handles the connection in the same way as Aeromexico. Your bag is checked through to destination.

While I have never had customer service issues with these airlines, I do agree with Steve. Customer service is rarely a priority for anyone in Mexico. My Mexican friends rarely complain about it because they expect it.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 08:57
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
glendale arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aeromexico or volaris

volaris....cheaper and newer planes.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aeromexico or volaris

Volaris does have a somewhat newer fleet. But compared to US airlines, Aeromexico has a very young fleet. You can't always depend on Volaris being the cheapest. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

6. Re: Aeromexico or volaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16