We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

We're heading to Moon Palace on Thursday (woo hoo!!!!) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how bad the mossies are there just now.

Thanks

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
594 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

We stayed in Cancun last week and the only time I got bit by mosquitos was at Xcaret & Xplor. Never had any bites while staying at the hotel or walking the streets.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

I'll be there on the 6th July! They eat me alive. I've got rare blood lol, have fun and take protection,

Loudoun County...
Level Contributor
378 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

We were there June of last year and the mosquitoes were not so bad during the day but in the evening they were pretty fierce. If you plan on eating dinner at one of the outdoor restaurants (which I highly recommend), you may want to apply some bug spray before you go out. Have a great trip!

san francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

We stayed in the Grand section at MP last July. They ate me alive. The resort is basically situated in the middle of the jungle. I'm not sure how the Nizuc or Sunrise sections compare, but our balcony was swarmed in the evenings. All the surfaces were covered with mossies. During the day, housecleaning would clean the patio and leave the doors open while cleaning, so all the mossies would come into the room. I had to call housekeeping a couple times and they would have maintenance bring in a guy with an aerosol tank and they would fumigate the room and the balcony. Not sure what chemicals they use, but I figured it was better than getting bit. It got so bad that i would leave a note on the sliding doors in Spanish for housekeeping instructing them not to open the balcony sliding doors and to forego cleaning the balcony. Even when we waited for the shuttles between sections, I would get bit outside if I didn't cover up. Just make sure you cover up and take bug spray and you will be fine. Have fun!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks for all your replies. I was bitten alive when we were there a few years ago but the weather had been particularly wet so I was wondering if this had been the reason. Even my husband who never gets bitten was attacked by them. Oh well I'll stock up on some spray and eat lots of garlic today.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

I was readng another post (shucks! wish i could remember) and those posters cleverly downloaded a mosquito app on their iphone. The free one (Bat sounds) wasn't so great, but the $2 they swore by....

Anyone know the specifics?

7. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17